1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Ever After, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13) (Hardcover)
This book was a huge disappointment. I was a huge fan of SSN and felt really let down by what was done in the last book. Here is my feedback to the author:

Dear Ms. Harris,

First to say that I have never written a feedback to the author before but after reading SSN for years I felt that I had to share my thoughts with you and the rest of the readers. I apologize in advance if my writing is all over the place as English is my second language and I have to say that many posters explained very eloquently elsewhere their feelings after the final book - be it positive or negative. I will do my best. Also I wanted to say that I am sad to hear that you had personal and serious threats by some psychos - that must be terrible but thank God that these people are just a very tiny, tiny minority of sad cases. I will not talk about your style of writing, how you wrote this or that, errors, etc....I am not a writer and it's not my place to analyse - leave that to the professional reviewers. But what I will write about is what comes from my heart and what I felt as a devoted reader of this book series, so here it goes...*** SPOILERS***I am just so sad and gutted after I read it and I can safely say I have never been more disappointed in a book in my life so far. Before I go on I just want to stress that my huge disappoitment is not about HEA, or Sam, Sookie's choice to live her life in the sun, have kids and normal life - well I must confess I wanted something else at the end - fireworks of true love winning over any obstical , trip to some fantasy land where everything is possible, This is why I got into these kind of books after all (I used to be big into classics but not sure how I ended up in fantasy/paranormal stuff)- but as many said - it's your story and characters and I respect your decision in terms of Sookie's HEA -whatever that means...
I have been of course disappointed in many books...many times things happened in the end that I didn't like, my favorite couple didn't work out, characters died tragically - oh how much my heart bled for Anna K my favorite heroine of all times...but I was always able to close to book down and say, well 'cest la vie'....so it's not that....
My disappointment lays in a sinking feeling that you wanted to hurt and punish - for reasons I cannot understand at all - a group of your readers (and may I say quite a large group) who grew to love Eric's character...Why do that? Why write him in such a way in the last book...I kept wondering who was that man on the pages of my book...and please don't tell me I read all along what I wanted to read...no way...I was wondering at some point what the heck I missed for some many years....I was almost beginning to question my own reading comprehensions skills...but then I figured I wasn't alone...many, many readers felt the same way...so something was off and just not right...it must be that the writer did something totally different this time.....I can think of 10 different ways that E/S could have parted forever without destroying everything they had... even a simple 'I wish you the best Sookie Stackhouse' would be enough for me....but it seems you wanted to crash his character so hard that Sookie cannot even think of him any more....and boy how she let go of him ..so so fast, without any reflection or heartbreak.....so now for any reader who for so many years enjoyed Eric or Eric and Sookie together, everything is totally pointless. I cannot ever read my favorite parts and enjoy them any longer - not after what you gave us at the end... And this is what hurts me the most as a reader..You knew how many hearts you would break and you went ahead with it - and again keep in mind I am not talking about Eric and Sookie staying together - not that at all.... it is total destruction of Eric ....I thought it was really unnecessary, unconvincing and unbelievable....just to give a concrete example - why have Pam make that point to Sookie that Eric didn't organize all that protection for sentimental reasons...am I supposed believe that about Eric a man (well vampire really) who truly loved Sookie and showed it throughout 12 books, whose core self we clearly saw in book4, who cried those bloody tears on her pillow feeling helpless at the thought she suffered in book 10 ...man who was always there, who brought out the best in her and loved her for who she was, who was so thoughtful, fun, sexy uber lover ....who GOT her (in Sookie's own words, think it was book 3)...who noticed she changed her nail polish :)
You keep saying you don't understand why people even like him...but this is what I don't understand...you wrote him that way for so long...you said that you wanted him to be appealing ...and my oh my - wasn't he just appealing ...and when TB got into the picture with Skars as Eric...oh dear...I can see why so many ladies lost their heads...but lets be honest he was far from a typical romantic hero - he had many flows and I saw them clearly - but this is why I loved him as well....one thing is sure...Eric Northman from book 1-12 was HONEST no matter what...so I am sorry but I cannot see how suddenly Eric planned to turn her against her will all along, how this 1000 old Viking cannot summon enough energy to fight for his independence he held so dear...never mind Sookie ....was he forced??? would he and sooke paid with their lives if he refused...don't know, you didn't write anything about that..and our dear heroine thinks he did indeed have a choice...so he chose what's best for him...why was this deal good for him personally is beyond me...he lost everything he held dear...and as far as I know Eric loved being a big fish in a small pond...or did I get that wrong as well??? ....Some power hungry and selfish Eric was not Eric I read about for so long...this guy appeared out of nowhere in the last book...at least that's how I interpreted from what I read...
I am not sure if any of this will make sense ..but I hope it does bring across my point as to why I found this last book so disappointing and in a way hurtful. I thank you Ms Harris for creating this world which I really enjoyed for so many years and I am really sad that I am parting with this series in such a way. I don't intend to read Code - not interested to hear about this new Eric who will most likely thrive in Oklahoma and Sookie with bunch of puppies, no thank you....and also no thank to any of your future books since I feel that you purposely hurt part of you fandom beyond repair.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Posted on 15 May 2013 14:56:09 BDT

Posted on 20 May 2013 08:12:53 BDT
Glad I did not buy the last book - though I guessed it would be Sam - there was no one else left!! And I agree heartily with your summation - well done . What a damn disappointment though.

Posted on 13 Jul 2013 08:42:03 BDT
nev says:

Posted on 23 Aug 2013 23:03:40 BDT
Morbidia says:
So glad I read this before I wasted my money on the last book, no more Miss Harris for me either

Posted on 3 Sep 2013 21:20:08 BDT
B. M. Biggs says:
Well said, my thoughts entirely. No more CH books for me either.

Posted on 17 Oct 2013 21:44:34 BDT
N. Lemans says:
Well said, I wrote my own review within moments of putting the book down at the end (or hurling it across the room more like), and I was so furious I struggled to really iterate this. I also will not be buying/reading anything else by CH, I agree that she quite deliberately wrote this book to hurt a large percentage of her fans!

I have given away all of my Sookie Stackhouse books, as I also feel I will never want to read them again, knowing how it turns out!

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 03:18:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Dec 2013 03:22:12 GMT
HelgaCabbage says:
I agree 100%, although I would go as far as to say that she began changing Eric's character in Book 11, too, to such a degree that I was reluctant to buy the rest of the series. I wanted to know how it would end however, having stuck with Sookie through the previous books... I thought what she wrote was a betrayal of her characters and her readers.
I felt that she'd simply had enough of the pro-Eric fandom and decided to completely decimate the character she'd crafted so carefully over the first 10 -11 books...
So Sookie did not end up with Eric, fine, I could have gotten over it, IF the ending had remained true to the characters we had come to know so well.
Instead it felt like fan fiction, like someone else playing in the Sookie universe and getting all the characters wrong... making them say and do and live and act in ways we knew they would never have done.
I also feel like it contradicted so much of what had been written previously - like the bad date with Sam where they kissed and Sookie felt no spark at all, there was no chemistry... then I'm supposed to believe that sizzling chemistry they both suddenly had after that? No.
And the Eric who cried when Sookie was traumatised... the guy who could feel her pain when she was being tortured and felt the helplessness of being unable to reach her... the big fish in a small pond, the guy who even when he's playing politics has always got one eye on what is ultimately best for Sookie... now he's some power hungry selfish jerk, putting his needs before hers, abandoning his love for her and their relationship to be more powerful? No.
And in the previous book when Eric suddenly rips painfully into her neck for no reason... I could tell even then that Ms Harris had decided she'd had enough and was changing his character as a 'F* you' to the fans of True Blood and Alexander Skaarsgard's Eric, as well as to those fans of book-Eric.
Well I'd like to return the compliment, Ms Harris and say the same thing back to you.
I committed to this series for many years, paid lots of money, and feel cheated, because unlike my other favourite books, I cannot go back and read these time and again - your last two books destroyed all my pleasure in the first 11.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.1 out of 5 stars (699 customer reviews)

18.99 9.50