1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Ever After, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Dead Ever After: A True Blood Novel (Sookie Stackhouse 13) (Hardcover)
This book was a huge disappointment. I was a huge fan of SSN and felt really let down by what was done in the last book. Here is my feedback to the author:

Dear Ms. Harris,

First to say that I have never written a feedback to the author before but after reading SSN for years I felt that I had to share my thoughts with you and the rest of the readers. I apologize in advance if my writing is all over the place as English is my second language and I have to say that many posters explained very eloquently elsewhere their feelings after the final book - be it positive or negative. I will do my best. Also I wanted to say that I am sad to hear that you had personal and serious threats by some psychos - that must be terrible but thank God that these people are just a very tiny, tiny minority of sad cases. I will not talk about your style of writing, how you wrote this or that, errors, etc....I am not a writer and it's not my place to analyse - leave that to the professional reviewers. But what I will write about is what comes from my heart and what I felt as a devoted reader of this book series, so here it goes...*** SPOILERS***I am just so sad and gutted after I read it and I can safely say I have never been more disappointed in a book in my life so far. Before I go on I just want to stress that my huge disappoitment is not about HEA, or Sam, Sookie's choice to live her life in the sun, have kids and normal life - well I must confess I wanted something else at the end - fireworks of true love winning over any obstical , trip to some fantasy land where everything is possible, This is why I got into these kind of books after all (I used to be big into classics but not sure how I ended up in fantasy/paranormal stuff)- but as many said - it's your story and characters and I respect your decision in terms of Sookie's HEA -whatever that means...
I have been of course disappointed in many books...many times things happened in the end that I didn't like, my favorite couple didn't work out, characters died tragically - oh how much my heart bled for Anna K my favorite heroine of all times...but I was always able to close to book down and say, well 'cest la vie'....so it's not that....
My disappointment lays in a sinking feeling that you wanted to hurt and punish - for reasons I cannot understand at all - a group of your readers (and may I say quite a large group) who grew to love Eric's character...Why do that? Why write him in such a way in the last book...I kept wondering who was that man on the pages of my book...and please don't tell me I read all along what I wanted to read...no way...I was wondering at some point what the heck I missed for some many years....I was almost beginning to question my own reading comprehensions skills...but then I figured I wasn't alone...many, many readers felt the same way...so something was off and just not right...it must be that the writer did something totally different this time.....I can think of 10 different ways that E/S could have parted forever without destroying everything they had... even a simple 'I wish you the best Sookie Stackhouse' would be enough for me....but it seems you wanted to crash his character so hard that Sookie cannot even think of him any more....and boy how she let go of him ..so so fast, without any reflection or heartbreak.....so now for any reader who for so many years enjoyed Eric or Eric and Sookie together, everything is totally pointless. I cannot ever read my favorite parts and enjoy them any longer - not after what you gave us at the end... And this is what hurts me the most as a reader..You knew how many hearts you would break and you went ahead with it - and again keep in mind I am not talking about Eric and Sookie staying together - not that at all.... it is total destruction of Eric ....I thought it was really unnecessary, unconvincing and unbelievable....just to give a concrete example - why have Pam make that point to Sookie that Eric didn't organize all that protection for sentimental reasons...am I supposed believe that about Eric a man (well vampire really) who truly loved Sookie and showed it throughout 12 books, whose core self we clearly saw in book4, who cried those bloody tears on her pillow feeling helpless at the thought she suffered in book 10 ...man who was always there, who brought out the best in her and loved her for who she was, who was so thoughtful, fun, sexy uber lover ....who GOT her (in Sookie's own words, think it was book 3)...who noticed she changed her nail polish :)
You keep saying you don't understand why people even like him...but this is what I don't understand...you wrote him that way for so long...you said that you wanted him to be appealing ...and my oh my - wasn't he just appealing ...and when TB got into the picture with Skars as Eric...oh dear...I can see why so many ladies lost their heads...but lets be honest he was far from a typical romantic hero - he had many flows and I saw them clearly - but this is why I loved him as well....one thing is sure...Eric Northman from book 1-12 was HONEST no matter what...so I am sorry but I cannot see how suddenly Eric planned to turn her against her will all along, how this 1000 old Viking cannot summon enough energy to fight for his independence he held so dear...never mind Sookie ....was he forced??? would he and sooke paid with their lives if he refused...don't know, you didn't write anything about that..and our dear heroine thinks he did indeed have a choice...so he chose what's best for him...why was this deal good for him personally is beyond me...he lost everything he held dear...and as far as I know Eric loved being a big fish in a small pond...or did I get that wrong as well??? ....Some power hungry and selfish Eric was not Eric I read about for so long...this guy appeared out of nowhere in the last book...at least that's how I interpreted from what I read...
I am not sure if any of this will make sense ..but I hope it does bring across my point as to why I found this last book so disappointing and in a way hurtful. I thank you Ms Harris for creating this world which I really enjoyed for so many years and I am really sad that I am parting with this series in such a way. I don't intend to read Code - not interested to hear about this new Eric who will most likely thrive in Oklahoma and Sookie with bunch of puppies, no thank you....and also no thank to any of your future books since I feel that you purposely hurt part of you fandom beyond repair.

[Add comment]