ARRAY(0xb2e9e4bc)

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something here?, 16 July 2005
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon) (Paperback)
I will be totally honest and confess that all the hype about this book put me off reading it for a long time. However, it was given to me as a birthday present and it would have been rude to not give it a try. Well, I've read it and I really can't see what the fuss is all about.
The writing style is stilted and clumsy. There are many errors and don't get me started on the way in which Mr Brown continually manufactures cliff-hangers for almost every chapter.If that is the only way he can make his readers want to read on then so be it, but it annoyed me beyond measure. I mean, how many times can someone open a box, gasp in disbelief at the contents and then not describe them for another three chapters?
My favourite spate of bad writing comes quite early on, during the drive from the Louvre to the American Embassy. Sophie has been thinking back about "the terrible thing" she saw her grandfather doing without ever letting the reader in on the secret. However, the moment she decides to think about it is when she is trying to escape the police in a high speed chase. She is driving and I'm pretty sure she would be better off concentrating on the road.
Best of all though is the drive from the Louvre to the embassy. On page 190, Sophie sets off, knowing that it is less than half a mile to get there. On page 192, after driving directly towards the embassy, she sighs with relief as now there is less than a mile to go. I've never been to Paris but the authorities really should do something about the spatial rift that apparently exists there. Generally, when I drive towards something, I get nearer to it, not further away.
It's not a terrible book but it could have been so much better. Read "The Name Of The Rose" if you want an intelligent thriller. If you must read this then at least see the flaws and appreciate that they stretch into the supposed revelatory theories as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Feb 2009 23:48:31 GMT
"The ending is very weak too but I won't spoil it for you. The author has already done that."

*snorts*

Thanks for a good laugh :-D - oh, and huge applause for a great review *clap*

Posted on 29 Jul 2010 23:36:51 BDT
Pete UK says:
Oh come on: it is a terrible book.

Posted on 7 Mar 2011 11:54:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2011 11:56:19 GMT
mad_mushroom says:
I was thinking exactly the same thing - about Sophie daydreaming whilst she's driving the getaway car. However, I think it's a mistake to recommend TNOTR to this audience (a truely great book): it would be wasted on the average Dan Brown reader. I'm only reading Da Vinci Code because I'm going to do a review on one of Paul Sussman's books - recommended by the Independent as the 'The intelligent reader's Da Vinci Code' or some such tripe. Actually Sussman's novels are cartoon plots with cartoon villains too - not much better than DB. And yes, I borrowed this book - I wouldn't buy it, or order it from the library (even for just 25p).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (1,513 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 0.01