ARRAY(0x992d0be8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect just what I wanted, 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Kitchen Craft Sweetly Does It 20 Hole Silicone Cake Pop (Kitchen & Home)
Great product and it works. Personally I never use the recipes included because they are always American and don`t quite work with me, instead I use a basic sponge mix. Firstly as with my other silicone moulds I grease then flour (works every time). For this mould I made a 6oz mix of sr flour, c. sugar. margarine (never butter) and 3 free range eggs. There was more than I needed but it didn`t go to waste I made cupcakes with the remainder although I`m sure you could get away with a 4oz mix instead. 3/4 fill the bottom mould and then put the top mould on (the one with the holes in it), I used gas 4 for about 18minutes but that depends on your oven. Make sure you place the mould on a baking tray to keep it level. When pops are ready leave them on your work surface to go completely cold otherwise they tend to break in half because they are too hot. When cold gently lift the top mould off and the rest of the balls should just pop out quite easily.
To decorate the pops I use cake melts which are made for this job of icing as it doesn`t slip off the round balls like ordinary icing would do, or if you used melted chocolate bars trust me neither work. The cheapest place I have found so far for the cake/candy melts is Hobbycraft 2.99 for a 12oz bag. You can buy it in various colours and flavours. All you do is put the cake/candy melts in a bowl and let it melt over a pan of hot water.
When you insert the lolly sticks into the cake balls you need to "glue" them in place so they don`t fall off. For this all you do is insert about an inch of the lolly stick into the cake melt then push it gently into the cake ball. Then leave them to set for about 15 minutes. I stick mine in a thick piece of polystyrene or you could use a piece of oasis. When they are set you can begin dipping each cake into your cake melt carefully coating it fully, when coated gently tap the stick on the side of the bowl to remove excess icing. Then decorate as you wish either with sprinkles or chopped nuts, its up to you. I made some recently with pink icing and placed a wafer butterfly on each one, I have also used wafer daisies. Just have fun.
I can highly recommend these, hope all you home bakers give them a try instead of making them with left over cake and mixing them up with some sort of frosting or buttercream, baking them from scratch is so much better.
Give them a go, happy baking Anne

UPDATE 10 SEPTEMBER
I`ve been trying different things in this pop mould and 1 of them is ice cream. I let any flavour icecream soften so I can use a scoop to get a good half round ball and place 1 in the bottom of the mould and 1 in the top. I then quickly put the top on like when I`m baking and gently press each mould so that it makes contact with the 1 underneath. They go back in freezer to re-harden. When you take them back out and remove the top of the mould you should have a round ball. Again I go through the process of sticking a lolly stick in them as above but this time I use a supermarkets own brand (but that`s up to you) I leave them in the bottom mould and replace them back in the freezer. I melt my chocolate and let it cool down as much as I can without it setting again and then 1 at a time I dip an icecream ball into it. I just let it set as it is but you could coat in sprinkles (again up to you), I do them 1 at a time and stick each 1 as its done back in the freezer, For this I have a cakepop stand that I bought. They are delicious, you can serve them up as a dessert just remove the sticks before serving on a plate. I make them using milk, dark and white chocolate not mixed together but individually. I`ve also coloured some regal-ice green cut out holly leaves and made small red holly berries and put them on top of the "icecream bombs" as we now call them and dusted them with icing sugar. They look amazing. Or just leave them on the sticks and serve, this can be messy as they melt rather quickly. You could also cut out with a wavy cutter circles of fondant again put on top of the pops and decorate with the holly leaves and they look like christmas puddings.

Give them a go
Anne

Updated 20 September

Just made a caterpillar cake using 8 pops covered individually in chocolate then "glued" together with a dab more chocolate, I used smarties for the eyes, I also cut out fondant legs, 2 for each pop and again stuck on with chocolate. He looks good. I`ve also made a christmas tree using the pops and stacked it up like you would do with profiteroles then sprinkled with gold edible glitter. Theres so much you can do with this cake pop mould.

Go on have some fun
Anne

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 11 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jun 2012 11:39:03 BDT
LindaM says:
Your post was so very helpful. I live in Italy and would like to know what SR flour is? Thanks again- I will certainly use your recipe and also the suggestion for cake/candy melts!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2012 16:26:12 BDT
Hi Linda
Many thanks for your kind post. SR flour is "Self Raising" flour. I always use this flour when baking rather than use plain flour and a raising agent. I hope that helps you. By the way your my first comment from Italy - thankyou. I hope you can give the recipe a try, its a good mould, easy to make and if you can get cake melts even better. They are available on amazon I think they sell for around 5.99 per bag. Just type in cake melts.
If you make the cake pops let me know how they turn out
Many thanks again, happy baking
Anne x

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2012 11:08:52 BDT
This is so helpful - I am planning making cake pops with my daughter and the whole breaking it up and mixing it with cream cheese seems like such a palava! It was a relief to read this! One question - do the sticks 'hold firm' in the cake though?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 19:57:10 BDT
Hi Mrs Hudson
Many thanks for your kind comment on the cakepops. To answer your question about the sticks sticking to the pops then yes I`ve always found they do. The pops are quite light when you make them from scratch and weigh very little just like a fairycake. I found that when I added buttercream/cream cheese to already made cake that it was too heavy for the sticks. If you do stick them as I suggested then put them in the fridge for about 30mins to set, and then when you come to coat them just gently tap them on the edge of the bowl. They always work for me hope they do for you.
Many thanks again, good luck with them Ann x

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 18:19:48 BDT
Superb review and very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 18:43:46 BDT
Hi Mellow Yellow
Thank you so much for your post it was kind of you to say so. I really appreciate it when people take the time to coment and tell you what they think. Hope you will give them a try
regards and happy baking Anne x

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 18:56:12 BDT
LindaM says:
Hi Anne- your recipe is fantastic! I followed your advice and they turned out perfect!!! thanks again! Amazon should pay you!!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 20:14:49 BDT
Hi Linda (in Italy?)
Im so glad you gave the recipe a try, like I said it does work if you have the right recipe. Hey you should start selling them and yes Amazon should pay me!!!!!!!!!! IF ONLY haha
You should try my other recipe on Amazon, find the Giant Doughnut Mould
Keep on baking
regards Anne xx

Posted on 24 Jul 2012 17:00:11 BDT
C. Jeffries says:
Thank you for your recipe and review, it's what made me decide to buy this mould! I've just made some now, and they look really good. I think next time I need to put just a little more in the mould so that they really rise up to the top of the mould, they look ever so slightly less round on the top half!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 19:28:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jul 2012 19:28:55 BDT
Hi C Jeffries, many thanks for your comment it was really nice of you. Next time put a little more mixture into the mould so its a smidge over half full, that should work. Failing that add a raising agent to your mixture that should sort it out for you. If not turn the cakepop upside down and use the bottom as the top as that will be perfectly round.
Keep on trying it will work for you
Happy baking