5.0 out of 5 stars THE RETURN TO THE AGE OF THE CLASSICS!, 3 Nov 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dragon Age: Origins (PC) (Video Game)
First things first: in the past I have chastised EA a number of times for its release of cookie-cutter games, crippled with atrocious DRM schemes. So, in all fairness, I now have to say this: DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS IS A GAMER's DREAM! It is an excellent game - and it comes FREE of any DRM madness. So, thank you EA for listening to your customers (let's only hope this trend holds...).

This is one of those games that are easy to control, a joy to roam through and fun to play at no end.
I am a huge cRPG fan and cannot remember such a great companion/squad cRPG ever since the Baldur's Gate Saga. And to tell you the truth, this is the game I was dreaming of being able to play one day while playing BG (yeah, by now we all know that NEVERWINTER NIGHTS never delivered).

There are about a dozen gender/race/class/background choices and a great many combinations in forming your party. The armor and the weapons are exceptionally made and everything shows on your characters. And the graphics are truly beautiful! You have to see the rendering of flames to believe them.
Nevertheless, what really stands out is the gameplay. Every battle is a puzzle to be solved, pausing ever so often to reallocate enemies to the best suited party members (a feature I loved in BG!). Of course one can always turn off the autopause feature and let the AI take over the rest of your party and turn the game into an hack&slash action RPG (not exactly my cup of tea but, hey, it's still nice to know it's there).

Finally, this is a game made just like the classics in many ways, including duration. I am now playing the game for over 20 hours and I feel that I barely scraped the surface! Now DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS is one satisfying RPG!

My only gripe is this: I did not appreciate such short dialogue options. Most fit a single line and more often than not they consist of a couple of words. I like my RPGs to be wordy and challenging to my verbal imagination as well - and I want my characters to participate in the humor, not just provoke it or react to it. Remember the long dialogue options in BG? Well, expect to find DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS much more laconic.
I guess 10 years of fast-paced FPS and blitzkrieging RTS do take their toll...

The blood sprays, the swords clang and the spells explode. The animations are beautifully made and add a lot to both enjoyment and immersion. There is a verse in Homer's Iliad I love: "the warrior fell, his armor echoing around him" - and I was reminded of it many a times throughout the game.

This game will stay with you. Do not miss on it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Feb 2010 12:19:10 GMT
Dan says:
They have a reduced DRM, but they have also tried another tactic. EA and Bioware require you to sign into their own websites, with their own accounts and login information, to allow you to access the bonus content from your purchase. This content is not transferable and one which is free with the game costs almost as much as the game itself. This doesn't affect a rent a game system but it does affect those who like to trade and buy second hand games.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2010 14:40:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2010 17:35:38 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
What can one say Dan? In the phrase "corporate greed" there is always one word that is redundant!

My review though refers to the original game (which can be bough second-hand) and not the extra DLCs. Not only because there were no extra DLCs available when I bought my copy of the game but also because I refuse to pay for such expensive additions.

What I usually do in similar situations (eg: FALLOUT 3) is wait for the GOTY/Gold/Ultimate edition some months down the road and buy them all together at a reasonable price - and gift the original game to a friend.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2010 01:22:57 GMT
Dan says:
Some of the DLC I am referring to came with the original game. Along with minor bonus items "The Stone Prisoner" quests and areas featuring the character Shale and is free with every copy of DAO, was available on release, ready months before and kept off of the installation disk. This required accounts and logins. However if you buy the game second hand it costs $15 (when all DLC since costs $5-7). I am not a big second hand game buyer but $15 on top of a second hand game price is penalising those looking for a bargain and penalising those who do not wish to create account details we EA. A future GOTY edition could well be a way for people to bypass the situation.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (184 customer reviews)

14.99 5.49