3.0 out of 5 stars More low grade silver than gold from the depths of the Rhine in this recording., 21 May 2013
This review is from: Das Rheingold (Audio CD)
When this cycle is completed, Janowski will have the distinction of being the only conductor to have recorded two "official" Ring cycles intended for release, and both in Digital sound at that. The earlier cycle was originally planned in 1975 as a vehicle for Rudolf Kempe, who tragically died before it could be realised, and eventually it fell to Janowski to complete the project beginning in 1980. He has written that he was not happy with the circumstances in which he was "persuaded" to undertake the project, and felt that his approach to the works was not fully formed at that period.
I have never cared for the earlier cycle as my reviews indicate, but certainly Das Rheingold was the best of the cycle, and is actually a rather fine account, not least of all vocally.

This recording is from a single live performance in November 2012, and features the same orchestra as the rest of the earlier recordings in this series.
The recording is excellent, very detailed especially in SACD, and highlights both the strengths and weaknesses of the orchestra, more of which anon.

After a swift, light and airy prelude we are confronted by 3 Maiden Aunts who are both squally and off pitch. The pitch improves but not the squally legato, and their concerted wailing when the gold is revealed is the kind of singing that gives Wagner a bad name. I had to turn to the recent Simone Young/Hamburg recording to hear pitch perfect beautifully alluring Rhine maidens.
They are joined by Schmeckenbecher's Alberich, familiar from the Weigle Ring, who matches his quarry in squally tone, little regard for pitch, but with added shouting and barking. The tone is right, but he cannot sustain a smooth line either here or later. He acts well though, and when he is not forced to sustain a note, he's quite effective, but only Theo Adam, miscast at age 70 on the Haitink recording gives a less ingratiating performance. He is not in the same league as Neidlinger, Kelemen, Wolfgang Koch- or Nimsgern on Janowski's earlier set.
The revealing of the gold is orchestrally flat and unpleasant to listen to.
A swift transition to the heights finds Wotan being awoken by his elderly Mother, as Iris Vermilion sounds too mature and is unsteady of tone. They are joined by a typically screechy Freia in Merbeth, but a respectable Donner and Froh, though Antonio Yang sings "Schwules Gedunst.." a semi-tone off pitch.

Janowski took a high speed approach to the Giants in the earlier set, and here he is even swifter, but their entrance is impressive, as are the giants themselves though more contrast between the voices would be welcome-who can forget the lumbering entry of Furtwangler's Giants, or the contrast between the noble Kreppel and the brutish Kurt Bohme for Solti?
However, they are well sung here at least, as is the Mime of Andreas Conrad-I hope he survives through to Siegfried.
The Erda is quite extraordinary-she has a rich dark tone in the manner of Madeira, but she rolls the rrrr's and hisses at the end of each line in a disconcerting manner-sort of school of Fischer-Dieskau on speed!

Tomasz Konieczny took the Wagner loving world by storm by replacing a sadly vocally deficient Uusitala in Vienna, and has sung both Wotan and Alberich there and elsewhere to great acclaim!
He gives us a firm voiced virile Wotan, with utterly steady tone fearless in the higher register, and well enough acted in a declamatory fashion. His voice is nearest to Thomas Stewart or a young Robert Hale in character rather than London or Hotter, but he starts out with a strange nasal tone and pronunciation which I find off putting. This does mellow as the role progresses, and he is in better vocal fettle than Terfel on the recent Met recording.
The one truly fine vocal performance is by Christian Elsner as Loge. This crucial role can be sung "straight" as exemplified by Svanholm or as a caricature best exemplified by Stolze at the other extreme.
Elsner finds a happy medium, sings with exquisite lyrical tone, pitch perfect and bang on each note, while injecting enough character to really convince.
His " Immer is Undank Loges Lohn" is the highlight of the work.

This leaves the playing and interpretation of Janowski- and both are profoundly disappointing.
Janowski takes a chamber like approach to the work, with swifter tempi and lighter textures which is perfectly legitimate but whereas with Karajan, who adopted a similar approach, the orchestra sounded like a mighty force being held at bay, here it just sounds thin on the ground. Execution is occasionally scrappy-the beginning of the descent to Nilbelheim is a mess-and it all sounds very provincial and prosaic.
The anvils are good though, but Donner's hammer blow sounds like someone tapping a glass to bring a banquet to order.

I have saved my main complaint till last-Janowski's conducting. It ranges from perfectly competent to mundane to downright irritating.
So many moments pass for little or nothing-the "Love of women" motiv in Loge's Narration should be a sublime moment but is utterly prosaic in this performance, the scene in Nibelheim between Loge, Wotan and Alberich lacks any tension-try Solti for how electrifying this scene can be-and worst of all, the opera's climax is a shambles.
Karajan "went off the boil" after the death of Fasolt, but at least he was "on the boil" to start with!
Janowski completely muffed the climax of Tristan, but here he is even worse. The 6 harps ( if there ARE 6-the picture in the booklet suggests otherwise) are wasted in the Rainbow Bridge, the Valhalla motiv is rushed and lacks nobility, and worst of all, the first of the appearance of the sword motiv as Wotan sings " So grüss' ich die Burg" passes for nothing-this moment should make the hair stand on end, but it passes routinely here.
When this theme is repeated in march tempo as the climax approaches, I cannot for the life of me fathom what Janowski has done-I've played it several times and my disbelief has been exponential.
He seems to have substituted a tuba for the trumpets, and the whole passage is an indistinct mess.
Finally, when we get to the famously misprinted "Entry of the Goods into Valhalla", Janowski broadens the tempo and it is very loud and very grand.

This is a Rheingold that too often lacks grandeur, tension and frequently beauty.
The inherent greatness of the music means that there is of course enjoyment to be had, but it is all too frequently interrupted by inadequacy of singing, playing or conducting.
The sad thing is that this is the "state we're in", and by today's standards this is a pretty decent effort!
As a performance, it cannot hold a candle to practically any of its predecessors, except possibly the Weigle, and vocally, orchestrally and interpretatively it is inferior in every way except recording quality to his earlier recording.
It is a sad state of affairs that in this anniversary year the best recordings to be issued have been the Decca Ring-again-and the 1959 Knowitschny Dutchman.
Janowski has his legion of admirers, but I think that even Mr F.P. Walter of Albuquerque will have trouble extolling the virtues of this recording.

Those seeking a great recording of this work have absolutely no reason to choose this one over Solti, Bohm (his whole Ring costs about the same as this!), Karajan, Barenboim or Dohnanyi to name but a few, and included in that list is Janowski's own earlier effort.
If really superb modern sound is required, the Simone Young Hamburg recording is a triumph.
I may return to this occasionally for Elsner's Loge-otherwise there is nothing to draw me back. I started out by declaring that Janowski's earlier Rheingold was the best work in the cycle-I hope that's not going to be the case here, but I fear it might be. Lukewarm recommendation-Elsner warrants the 3rd star.
Stewart Crowe.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 May 2013 22:29:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2013 18:01:00 BDT
Ralph Moore says:
Gawd 'elp us, Stewart - three whole stars after that diatribe? Not that I don't believe you and unfortunately its failings are simply consonant with those of the previous Janowski issues on this label. What on earth is the point in these offerings when we are awash with really excellent recordings? Who's buying them? Not me.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 23:45:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2013 13:28:53 BDT
D. S. CROWE says:
Who's buying them? Sadly ME for one, as I continue to live in hope but usually end up in despair! I just can't bear to think I might miss a good'un!
I would have given it 2 only but for Elsner. There're really is no compelling reason to buy this in preference to just about any alternative except for the supposed benefits of SACD., and Gergiev will be along soon for that! Here's hoping( but not much!) As ever, Stewart.

Posted on 31 May 2013 19:05:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2013 19:06:13 BDT
I wondered why I disagreed with the two reviews of different parts of the Ring I have read of yours so far D.S and now I know why: you like the dreadful Solti. However, despite this I enjoyed your thoughtful review. Thank you. And I agree about the Bohm. Why anyone would want to buy anything else when you can get one of the best Ring Cycles for only £20 or so is beyond me. I think I paid about 140 for it many many many years ago. And I think the first Janowski Ring can be bought for little more.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2013 19:51:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 May 2013 19:59:07 BDT
D. S. CROWE says:
Wotan, you are not going to find many who agree with your extreme view of, the Solti. There is NOTHING dreadful about it- it may not be to your taste as an interpretation, but it cannot be described as dreadful. Much though I don't care for Janowski's approach for example, I don't describe it as dreadful: dull, underpowered and with some poor vocal performances, but it's not dreadful , just not competitive against other versions. By the way, I've read the smattering of reviews you have posted and I don't agree with your assessment either- one star for the Gergiev Walkure is as outrageous as describing the Solti as dreadful.The new Thielemann Vienna Ring will no doubt cause us to disagree further, though I don't post negative votes. SC.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2013 13:06:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jun 2013 13:06:53 BDT
I think one or two people might agree with that "extreme" view alas. I used to once like the Solti but I "grew out of it". A young persons Ring. I like Solti far more than many but simply cannot put up with all of Culshaw's "cheap tricks" I am afraid. And in Wagner, Solti is, as I am sure you are aware, far better at moments than at producing an overall "flow". He miss handles "line" in Wagner so badly. But worse, I cannot cope listening to the great Hans Hotter as he is there. Solti's Verdi Don Carlo, remains the best on CD though. Although you might disagree. I also have to say I listen to few Salomes' but his.

I have seen the Vienna Ring. I think Thielemann has still much to learn, but aside from Barenboim, Runnicles, Janowski and Haitink he is certainly a practicing conductor of Wagner who seems to at least read the score on occasion :). And his presence in the pit, for both Tannhauser and the Dutchman at Bayreuth was more than welcome.

As to the Gergiev Walkure...Well, I have listened to it again and it remains terrible. The worst Walkure on record. I think its sales figures might reflect that. Especially given its real, "star casting". It is for this reason that it is so bad. It should have been much better.

By the way, have you ever reviewed the Haitink Ring? I think it is vastly underrated but would be very curious to hear your thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2013 19:14:28 BDT
D. S. CROWE says:
When I wrote my review, the state of play was that the Thielemann Vienna. Ring was not going to be released after all- or so I thought! The release will rob Janowski of being the first and only conductor to have 2 official cycles, but he will still be the only one to have recorded a studio recording and a live performance one. SC.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (1 customer review)

Reviewer