4.0 out of 5 stars The QWERTY keyboard Layout is NOT German!, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: QPAD MK-50 Pro Gaming Mechanical Keyboard-Red (Accessory)
As I write this review, QPAD the creators of this keyboard, have now changed the layout for UK buyers. So the layout IS English, so don't feel threatened to not buy this keyboard if you were wondering if it was German.

I accidentally purchased this keyboard, because I was doing some research and I remembered this one being the cheapest I could afford, so I instantly bought it without looking at the reviews again. I forgot about the keyboard layout, so I planned on returning the keyboard once it arrived, as I didn't want a German layout, since I do programming, and looking at the keyboard is something I do often. However, then once it arrived, it was English so no problems there. That said; I do want to list some pros and cons for this keyboard just to give someone an overview on the keyboard on whether they should buy it or not.

Pros;
- The buttons feel responsive and accurate. This is my first mechanical keyboard, and I have to say that I am very satisfied with out it feels.
- The buttons have a sense of grip to them, so I don't feel like I'll slip off them either.
- The blue LED lights for the Cap lock, Scroll lock and Num lock are a nice touch. I personally wouldn't care to have the whole keyboard lit up, since it would probably be more annoying than anything.
- It looks pleasing and doesn't look like a gaming keyboard (with the exception of it saying 'we *heart* gaming'). It's clean and it looks like any other standard keyboard that you might get with a PC, which to me is a plus, since most gaming keyboard try far too hard to look different and 'cool'.
- It looks better than it does in the picture. Everything has a matte finish, so you won't be slipping off anything and you won't leave sweat marks on the keys either.
- The clips at the bottom of the keyboard, which allow you to raise the keyboard slightly are very sturdy and won't break any time soon.
- Also worth mentioning, the keys are MX-Cherry Red, and if you don't know what that means, please Google 'mechanical keyboard guide' and select the first link, then scroll down to 'Common Key Switches' to get all of your information on MX-Cherry switches and what each colour does.

Cons:
- The arm rest that it comes with is kinda hard to put on, and I wouldn't recommend constantly taking it off and on. Find what you prefer and stick with it, because it looks a bit cheap, and I'd assume after a couple of attempts of putting it on and off, the pins would break making it useless.
- The arm rest is also not exactly 'comfortable'. After an hour-or-so of gaming, I tend to get a little red mark at the bottom of my hand (near the wrist) and it starts to feel sore after an extensive gaming session.
- The keyboard is a bit high, so without an arm rest (especially when gaming) you have a very awkward stance on the WASD keys. But this is after all a preference. I would say I have average size hands, so I don't feel like I would be in the minority when I say that using the arm rest is needed. But I could be wrong.
- The orange WASD keys that come with the keyboard aren't anything special. They seem cheaper than the original keys on the keyboard, and they are also not that easy to put on compared to the originals. My orange 'W' key also never wanted to go on properly, so I just gave up on the orange keys and went back to the originals. Honestly; they wouldn't have made a difference, and if you really do wanna have orange WASD gaming keys, then I would recommend getting some on eBay or something, they aren't that expensive.

Overall; this is the cheapest mechanical keyboard I managed to get, that was 'semi-professional' and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a mechanical keyboard, regardless if it's for gaming or regular use. The minor issues are more preference than anything, and what I would consider as an issue, might be an advantage for another person, so take my criticism lightly. 4/5 for sure.

Update 19-01-2013:
The hand/arm rest was uncomfortable, and I'm using the keyboard with it, and I have to say it's far better and more comfortable, since my hand is nicely resting on the table. I take back what I said about the keyboard being too high, after you get use to it, it feels perfectly fine (I'm also using the legs at the bottom of the keyboard). Overall (once again), I've had no issues with this keyboard, and for it's price I wouldn't recommend any other keyboard to a person who looking to buy their first mechanical keyboard :)

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]