1.0 out of 5 stars Abominable, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Silver Edition (Electronics)
Spurred on by the reviews here and promises that it would work 'straight out of the box' I decided this was the mic for me for my home studio set up and gave the Mrs the thumbs up for an Xmas purchase. I've been working on and setting up computers for 20 years so didn't expect any problems.

First impressions were good, it's a big, sturdy piece of hardware and comes with a decent length USB lead. Packaging is attractive but the accompanying booklet was a bit of a let-down - no mention of how to set it up with Windows 7, it only covers up to Vista.

Setting it up - this was the bad part. Trying to set it up on a standard Dell Windows 7 PC was definitely not the 'straight out of the box' experience I expected. After a lot of fiddling about I finally got it to work with the built in sound recorder, but couldn't hear anything when recording to monitor the sound.

I then tried to set it up with my recording software - Native Instruments Maschine. As with the OS there is no help in the booklet or on their website for help with this.

Maschine didn't pick up the mic at all at first, so I tried setting it up on another PC running XP. Same issues, but eventually got it working so tried again with the Windows 7 PC. After two hours I eventually managed to get it working with Maschine. I've no idea what the problem was - it could have been the built in Windows drivers (the mic doesn't come with any drivers of it's own), or the ASIO4all drivers I use with Maschine, or Maschine, or the mic itself but safe to say it wasn't a 'straight out of the box' experience. One minute it was wasn't picking it up and saying the mic was 'unavailable', the next it was.

Anyway, after three hours it was working so despite the ordeal I thought I'd stick with it.

Next time I switched on my PC and plugged in the mic it was gone again. Launched Maschine and bingo - no mic detected. Didn't work with the basic sound recorder either. Tried the steps I'd gone through before - reset everything but this time nothing was being picked up so unplugged ut and decided life was too short for all this - the mic will be returning to Amazon after I've finished typing this review.

No idea on the sound quality - apart from a few roadie style '1-2-testing's it didn't work long enough to try it out, the 1 star review is purely based on my experiences with the mic, for the out of date instructions and missing help.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Dec 2011 01:15:57 GMT
Try using a different recording software like Audacity or Mixcraft, Blue products are renowned for working straight away, and your situation is rare

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 13:25:43 GMT
I. M. Hawley says:
Some USB ports do not provide enough power for certain devices - you might find that one or more USB ports have more power available to them - you should try that port and keep it there at all times.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 11:18:58 GMT
Familychoice says:
I tried Audacity, SoundForge and the basic Windows Sound Recorder and had the same issue with each one, on two different PC's.

The point of my review is that for some users it isn't a simple 'plug in and go' mic. If you're running some types of software and don't have a decent sound card, so are relying on the ASIO4All driver then it will take time to set up, and in my case the settings weren't saving so each time I used it I had to start all over again.

Maybe I had a dodgy mic, maybe the combination of the free driver, my OS and music software was preventing the PC from seeing the mic - whatever it was the lack of drivers and support for Windows 7 didn't help.

I've sent the mic back (thanks to Amazon for their usual good service) and have since borrowed a different USB mic from a friend to try out. It worked straight away.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 11:21:03 GMT
Familychoice says:
I did. The ports have no problems powering a range of other devices, and a different make of USB mic now works without any issue.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2012 22:35:33 GMT
I run Windows 7, and the mic worked strait out of the box, but I understand your situation. Allthough I don't think this is a common problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›