5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 - Microsofts Redemption!, 15 July 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User (CD-ROM)
I have used most major operating systems from Microsoft since Windows 3.1, some being absolutely horrible (Windows ME) and some being pretty good (Windows XP). I have been using Vista since it's release and im not very happy with it - it's sluggish, a resource hog and has given me driver and software issues.

Since the Beta stages of Windows 7 I had been pretty hyped up about it as every step of the way it has seemed like a very stable and solid system. To date, I have not actually seen a credible source give a bad review about Windows 7. Yes, there will be the inevitable Linux and Mac "fan-boys" making loud noises about it being rubbish, but those kinds will never be happy with anything that comes with a Microsoft badge, even if it was a free all-inclusive holiday to the Maldives.

Anyway, I've been using the public RC (Release Candidate) since it's day 1 release and I've not had a single driver issue, and any Vista or XP software that has not run properly, seems to (mostly) run fine under compatibility mode. If not, there's always the 'XP Mode' feature (not available in Home Premium!). Best of all it doesnt eat away at computer memory like Vista did. Despite Microsoft releasing a 'starter' version aimed at Netbooks, Windows 7 RC actually runs just as well as XP on most current netbooks - EeePC, Samsung NC10 etc. From that, you can tell how well optimised Windows 7 is.

PS. I still hate Microsoft. But I do love Windows 7!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 26 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2009 18:32:33 BDT
I agree. The right click on the Start button and select Explore displayed a clear directory tree whereas I find Vista too confusing. I even have to resort to DOS commands to find what I want and with Gb storage these days and that is a pain but often more effective. On this level alone Vista has been a disaster for the basic user. My decision to move forward to Windows 7 or even moving back to XP will depend on this function. Not convinced so far. 'Compare the meerkat.com. Compare the market.com.' It's the 'Click' that counts!

Posted on 28 Aug 2009 13:25:39 BDT
David H. says:
I pre-ordered this for only 45 (in July I think), Vista is OK but 7 is definitely a step in the right direction. I can't wait as with the systems I've had so far I've only ever had recovery discs, whereas this time I'm getting the full installation discs. So I can install only the software I want (no added on crap from manufacturer) and do a clean install whenever I feel like it.

Roll on October.

Posted on 1 Sep 2009 08:46:11 BDT
Hi I have had a look at windows 7 and yes I do agree that it seems a lot better, but my concern is that as with vista and xp when you get the "finished product" you spend hours downloading updates, and by the time you have downloaded them all you don't have anything like the windows 7 that MS says you will have. I Installed windows 7 just four weeks ago and already there is 12 updates for this. I am going to wait until this so called "finished product" has been out for a year or so before I even consider updating. A Further point to consider is "how long before the new improved windows whatever is being released" and what hardware that you saved hard to get will run on this system. Since I changed over to Vista (Big Mistake) I have had to get new printers, new scanners, new camera, new web cams, the list is endless, so before you rush out and order this product check you bank balance.

In short and to sum up "Don't trust MICROSOFT" they are after your money.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2009 16:36:24 BDT
I would agree, XP is much more stable than Vista. I have Vista 64 Bit and it continually drops my browser connections, whether it be IE, Google Chrome, Safari, whatever. Even does it with only IE on the system - 32 or 64 bit. I should add that when the browsers stop working, I still get emails coming through and music streams OK, so I'm convinced it's the OS. Vista, I hate it - yet it is quite good with my photo's and vids, so it has a few redeeming features.

My IT guys have trialled Windows 7 and say it is far superior to Vista. I liked just about everything in XP once the early gremlins were evicted, so let's hope 7 is better than XP.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2009 11:17:42 BDT
Big Bad Bill says:
Ah the arguments about how crap Microsoft is and Vista in particular. That has not been my experience. I currently run Vista on two machines. One is a laptop with a Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM. This came with Vista installed. On this machine Vista has run like a dream, and has been much more stable than XP ever was, even SP2 (if anything XP is less stable and has less speed advantages now it is bloated with SP3). My second machine is a desktop with a Pentium 4 2.8. This machine originally was sold with XP Pro and 512MB RAM. It is now upgraded with Vista Enterprise Edition and has 3GB RAM. Vista has also always run like a dream, even when first installed (I had 1.5GB Ram in the machine at that time). I have therefore never expereinced any of the problems with Vista that so many people talk about. I in actual fact am inclined to question just how many of these are genuine, and how many come from frustrated individuals who hate and attcak the products of any successful company (we do have Tesco haters as well). I have used Windows since version 2.0, and the I only ever had problems with Windows 98 SE (the original release was great) and Windows ME which was based on 98SE. Windows 2, 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98 (original version), NT 3.5, NT 4, 2000, XP and Vista have all given me flawless service, and to be honest I expect no different from Windows 7.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2009 20:01:25 BDT
S. Simmonds says:
Just wanted to set the record straight from a previous post. If you buy an upgrade DVD (not an OEM DVD) then you can upgrade from Vista to Win7. If you have XP you must do a clean install and so will lose all programs and data if you reformat (recommended).

However, you should always backup your important files first just in case in either scenario.

Also, large OEMs will provide Win7 drivers for any systems sold after Oct 2009 - so look on the OEMs website (HP, Dell, Samsung, Asus, Acer, etc.) for better/later Win7 drivers after Oct 22nd.

Posted on 25 Oct 2009 20:22:42 GMT
Chad Bronson says:
"Finally, Microsoft have a fully competent & rock-solid operating system. It almost makes up for the heartache of using Windows 95, 98 (1st Edition), ME and Vista. "

Can I just say to this comment that whilst Windows 7 might be a fully-able and rock-solid, Windows 9x. series are certainly not a heartache to use. Alright, early editions of Windows 95 and ME might have been, but having used both they were always stable, speedy and simply just worked with non of the flashy gimmicky nonsense of Windows XP, Vista and now 7. I simply didnt buy it, and after I salavaged a elderly circa-2000 PC from a friend of mine a few weeks back, still use Windows ME to this day. It... just works.

Posted on 19 Nov 2009 13:28:56 GMT
Ha! If Microsoft were to offer a free all-inclusive holiday to the Maldives - 1. It would get there. 2. It wouldn't be free!

Isn't it funny how most of the Mac users I know used to own a Windows PC, but you never see it the other way around do you!? A Windows PC owner who used to own a Mac, anyone?? I don't think so.

I also find it laughable how similar Windows 7 looks and operates to the Mac OS!

Posted on 26 Dec 2009 02:26:10 GMT
Nvidia Otaku says:
There is one tiny little detail you missed out about Vista, don't forget that Vista thrashes the hell out of hard drives, least Windows 7 doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2010 15:33:58 BDT
Mr. C. Kay says:
You are right... everyone I know who owns a Mac never 'used' to own a Windows PC... They still use it! I work in a fairly tech-savvy and oriented job where most use only a Windows based PC, but a decent handful use their Mac as their main computer, but these are not 'fan boys' like you sound like - they know that both OS have their advantages and disadvantages so they use both to maximise their time to do their job more efficiently. One of my colleagues even has Windows 7 setup via bootcamp and uses it more than the MacOS itself.

Also, Windows 7 looks the same as MacOS? You would have to say the same as Windows 3.1 because the main design elements are still there... a start button, a taskbar, windows explorer, control panel. Sorry but I find it laughable how naive you are to the PC vs Mac argument which will rage for the rest of eternity with fan boys on either side...

Myself... I know MacOS is a damn good operating system despite my own experiences with it. I used it for 3 months straight and I honestly couldnt wait to get away from it - mainly because I had used Windows for ~10years prior, I was used to it and had trouble navigating a new OS. So right there your argument for Windows 7 looking and feeling like MacOS is blown out the water.

Review Details