2.0 out of 5 stars Not Great, 18 Aug 2010
This review is from: What Every BODY is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People (Paperback)
Many things about this book irritated me.

For a start the first couple of chapters are mainly just trying to sell you the authors other services (conferences or whatever). Almost stopped reading at this point.

The next few chapters seem to be almost entirely about what you're going to learn from the book. I hate it when books do this because I've already bought it - you don't have to try and sell it to me. It's the same sort of thing as how in American TV shows they show you what's about to happen every 5 minutes. Just get on with it.

Secondly the way it's written is very ponderous and it tries hard to sound science-y in areas that are totally irrelevant.

Here is an extract to illustrate my point:

//"For millions of years, the feet and legs have been the primary means of locomotion for the human species. They are the principal means by which we have manoeuvred, escaped and survived. Since the time out ancestors began to walk upright across the grasslands of Africa, the human foot has carried us, quite literally, around the world... ...And while not as efficient at certain tasks as our hands (we lack an opposable big toe)..."//

It goes on like this for some time. This is great for those that have yet to realise what the lumps of meat on the ends of their legs are for but for the rest of us it's just pointless waffle that adds nothing to the book. It reads a lot like padding and without it I think this book would probably be about 100 pages long.

On the subject of trying to sound science-y the book has many references to other literature. Funnily some of them are references to other books by the author and books about the author which leads me to believe they're probably there more for show than anything else. I don't know why they bothered to do this because the major premise of the book is that it's information gleamed from many years of experience not an academic look at body language.

There is some actual interesting material in the book and some more subtle stuff to look for that you may notice after reading it but it's hidden in such a large amount of crap it barely seems worth the effort.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Sep 2010 00:26:53 BDT
Eva B says:
Made me chuckle, thank you!

Posted on 26 Oct 2010 21:22:41 BDT
Sam Hartley says:
I wish I had read this before I bought it, this kind of thing really annoys me. I have finished books that have told me all the way through what I am about to learn, then felt like I didn't actually learn it. I guess I will get round to reading it eventually but it has dropped off my priority list for now.

Posted on 20 Aug 2011 01:52:00 BDT
Thank you for this review S Warman. This kind of drivel turns me right off. I'll buy you a drink with the money you saved me:-)

Posted on 2 Jan 2012 15:32:20 GMT
A. Burton says:
Whilst I haven't read the book, the section you've quoted is actually worth mentioning in a book about body language. We move instinctively, thus, watching someone's feet turn towards a door or exit during a conversation is a sure sign they are preparing for imminent departure. Monitor the rest of their body language and gauge their responses to questions to conclude why they are doing this....

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 20:00:38 GMT
TM says:
Thanks for skewering the waffle so accurately.
Life is short, I do not feel cheated in the slightest if I don't get my 400 pages of dross.
Listen up Authors - Spend your time honing the material for clarity and accuracy.
That should be obvious.
"Less is More"

Posted on 7 May 2013 01:45:00 BDT
S. Barker says:
I like concision too!

Posted on 13 May 2013 14:00:07 BDT
G. Bernard says:
You saved people lots of money.

Posted on 3 Sep 2013 11:09:29 BDT
hi read your review what book would you recommend then?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2014 23:04:30 GMT
Mr Quinn, the reviewer does not need to recommend an alternative book, he is merely giving a critique of the book under discussion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›