3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin but a bit noisy, 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
This player successfully plays all the media formats it says it does but we found the player to be a bit noisy when playing a disk. It is nearly silent when playing something from a USB stick though. I have an LG BD370 and it is much quieter. With the BD550 the player noise can be distracting during quiet scenes of a film, although you may get used to it.

I sent it back for a refund and Amazon impressed me again with their customer service. It was painless and a generally pleasant experience. Well done them.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Feb 2011 10:36:55 GMT
DMH says:
Thanks for pointing out the negative - a noisy player can be a real irritation.

Posted on 13 Feb 2011 19:55:18 GMT
msCX says:
Thanks also for pointing this out. However, it does seem a bit starnge that for a product so widely and generally very well reviewed no one else has come across this problem (and indeed the reviewer before you (in date order, I think) remarked on it being a quiet machine!). I wonder if you had a rogue copy, rather than this being a design/general manufacturing fault? i.e. should I risk buying one?? If I do, I'll post a comment about its noisiness/quietness!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Feb 2011 22:48:50 GMT
I did see another comment (on a forum page, not Amazon) but I assumed it was a rogue product and bought it anyway. Turned out it wasn't an isolated incident but could of course be quite rare. All I know is that it was a lot more noisy than my LG BD370.

Posted on 20 Jun 2011 17:09:20 BDT
D. Ramos says:
Iain the player you got back was it still noisy?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2011 18:24:29 BDT
Hi. I had a refund, I didn't get the same model replaced.

Posted on 19 Sep 2011 12:42:08 BDT
D. Hoskins says:
The reason the player was quieter when playing from a USB stick would almost certainly be due to the fact that a USB is solid state with no moving parts, obviously when playing a DVD or blu-ray the motor to spin the disc would be running creating noise.

Posted on 12 Oct 2011 08:25:00 BDT
Richard H. says:
Fortunately the BD550 I bought was a quiet sample both on Blu-Ray and DVD. I can say nothing else really.............................

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 08:35:47 BDT
Richard H. says:
That is absolutely right. It would be a bit odd if the reviewer had this gap in his/her know-how?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Oct 2011 12:41:02 BDT
If you are referring to me - yes, I did realise that is why playing from USB key was quieter! But since we watched a lot of DVD/Blu rays the noise from the optical drive was unacceptable for us.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (161 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £50.00