4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!!, 12 Nov 2012
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Beautifully presented set in gorgeous box with original movie poster pictures on each side of the pages. Presented as a book with very strong cardboard type pages which the disc sits inside like envelope style (a little disappointing as you will find it hard not to smudge finger prints onto discs) apart from that am happy with the packaging. I am very impressed with some of the transfers especially considering their age (Sabateur) but equally a little disappointed with others where I would certainly not be able to say that it's stunning HD clarity, because it certainly is not. However, if like me you have been holding off buying most of Hitchcocks movies waiting for Blu ray then this is probably the best way to purchase, certainly price wise. However if you are hoping for the quality of picture seen in other Hitchcock Blu ray releases....ie. North by Northwest or Rebecca (USA release but is actually region free) which are fantastic HD transfers (in my opinion) then you may be disappointed with some of this box set. That said, as a Hitchcock fan I am still pleased to own this set for the pure nostalgia of it and I now have most of his films on blu-ray, really wish we could get The Lady Vanishes though!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Nov 2012 02:24:25 GMT
"tink" thanks for the great review. Sounds like these transfers are the same as what Universal released here in the states (but waaay cheaper!) and I will eventually get this set. I am just disappointed there are so many not so great transfers in this set. The Birds looks great (to me) on DVD here in the US and can't wait to see it on blu. By the way (like I have) you have GOT to get a region free blu ray player that is not too expensive and get The Lady Vanishes on blu ray. There is a killer version of The 39 Steps on blu ray and the original The Man Who Knew Too Much on blu ray comes out in January. Unfortunately these are all Region A so do yourself (and your eyes) the favor and get you a region free player. I love mine so I can watch anything from the UK and not worry about region coding. I wouldn't wait for Masters of Cinema to release these. Criterion did a fantastic job on the first two.
Thanks again for the box set review. And wish you happy Hitchcock HD viewing!!

Posted on 13 Nov 2012 02:48:40 GMT
An Old-Timer says:
Maybe it's a studio monopoly, but it's hard to pay the price for movies like "The Trouble with Harry", "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "Marnie", "Torn Curtain", "Topaz", Family Plot", and then still be looking for "Notorious", "Rebecca", "The Lady Vanishes", "The 39 Steps", "Lifeboat", "Foreign Correspondent", "Spellbound", not to mention "Strangers on a Train", "To Catch a Thief", "Dial M for Murder", "North by Northwest" etc etc

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012 09:43:51 GMT
Tinksjane says:
thanks for your comments, and I think you are right, I really should invest in a multi regional blu ray player!

Posted on 13 Nov 2012 14:06:26 GMT
L. Burel says:
Thank you for your review i am still a bit worried about purchasing the box set as i heard that some restoration were not as good as they might claim (according to some review specially by Nick Wrigley in the last edition of Sight and Sound. Have they fixed many of the problems ? You should be more explicit about your review of The Birds, Marnie which were the one who had problems.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2012 15:08:03 GMT
Tinksjane says:
L.Burel.....I too have read some of the concerns that the reviewers had, however, from my personal perspective, bearing in mind that some of these movies are pretty old now, I still believe a good restoration job has been done on majority of them. Yes, I was hoping for the most amazing HD clarity on Rear Window, but its not got the wow factor!! However, it is much clearer in clarity than the original dvd version that i have seen....so one can't complain in that way. We have become so spoiled today with our HD movies that we expect so much from them now. I believe part of Hitchcocks' charming movies lives in the slight speckle on the screen as much as in the story. But, I say this with honesty, Marnie is in my opinion the worst transfer in the set....its odd as its almost slightly fuzzy.....very watchable but you would never be able to think this is in anyway a great HD upgrade, Family Plot is flawed this way too, but not quite as badly.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2012 17:49:20 GMT
L. Burel says:
Tinksjane.... Thank you so much for your comments and replying to me it is much appreciated. And you are right when you say that we are expecting so much ... Well i will have to get it then Maybe somebody should buy it for my Xmas Present !!!

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 10:23:21 GMT
Is the audio quality good on all movies with your set? reviews on the limited edition UK release are saying some of ther films have tinny/fuzzy sound issues?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 22:11:30 GMT
Tinksjane says:
Hell-oh-kitteh ........ I am not experiencing any sound problems at all....the sound is very good actually. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 13:26:05 GMT
thanks yeah...that review i had seen was promptly removed by the author who then put up another revierw saying that they had got it wrong hahaha. the sound does indeed seem to be fine.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 13:51:07 GMT
everest67 says:
Why has amazon stated in the description of REBECCA blu ray that is is region A1 (North American only)? I would purchase it but have a blu ray not multi region and you actually said it is region free, right?...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

129.99 57.00