5.0 out of 5 stars I was taken back in time...to a place I'd never been!!!!, 11 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Supertramp: Live In Paris '79 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
If it wasn't for Supertramp, back in the mid to late 70's I might have been turned off of music forever. They were THE musical bright spot for me during my high school years. Everything else back then was just 100% crap. That's why when this concert was made available, I just had to have it. I was never able to see the band live...until now.

The sound was incredible!!! There wasn't a single moment during the entire concert that I couldn't hear each distinctive note of every instrument!! I have never EVER heard sound of that quality before!!! Hats off to the sound production.

I really felt like I was there. When the film went to long range shots, yes it got a little grainy...but it added a realistic element for me...like I was in the back of the crowd, dancing about.

The only shame for me was the DVD "extras"...since it would have been so much better if they could have had more live footage, or time, or money to make the concert complete. However, the sound on those additional five songs was of the same incredible quality as the rest of the production!

I saw Roger live a couple of years ago in a very intimate setting, and he was truly amazing. However, the contrast of Rick's music was something that show lacked. This trip back in time to Paris (where I'd never been) has completed me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2012 17:05:00 BDT
DC says:
I agree 100% Jay that Roger is truly amazing in concert. I love the intimate setting and I also love his band shows and all the different ways he does concerts. He does all the same great songs now that Supertramp did back then and his voice is even better and stronger today. Seeing the old stuff is fun too to see the contrast and how much more seasoned his performances are now. Rick just doesn't have the same interaction and intimacy with his audience as Roger does.

Posted on 14 Sep 2012 09:41:06 BDT
JB says:
I think the bonus material and the liner notes would have been so much better if they had Roger and Rick contribute more about the songs and what inspired them but it seems Roger never got the chance to complete the work that he was doing with the band on it before they went and finished it behind his back. That has to be a real slap in the face to Roger to be treated that way. What a shame, I think that would have made the bonus material a real bonus and it so much more substantial and interesting to get the inside scoop from the songwriter himself instead of all that kind of cheesy layout with a few pictures and not even a mention of who wrote the songs.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012 06:50:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Sep 2012 06:58:07 BDT
Ned says:
Well there are 2 sides here. One side claims they were locked out of the process, but that side also told us the video and sound were low quality - which has now been clearly shown to be untruthful. He also presented some false info about song credits on this and other releases. Before public release, he claimed he was not given any respect or credit in this release - but once you watch it, you can see that's simply untrue. He is presented as the star, not just in the footage, but the editing and the on screen graphics. Any objective person can see he got loving and reverential treatment on this release, and claims that he was diminished are clearly untrue.

We see repeat suspect reviews all following the exact same template (including the same errors!) and we have the grammy winning producer of the original album and new release saying these reviews are from a management spin team gone mad.

At first I was believing Roger's claim that all he wanted was the fans and fellow band members to be happy. Yet his actions prove this early statement was false.

He's actively trying to discredit and stop the release - contradicting his own claim of just wanting to release it for the last 30 years.

Furthermore, if Roger truly wanted to provide the 'inside scoop' and valuable insights and photos and everything else nice - he has had several weeks (actually several decades) to do so on his various sites and channels.

He could put those stories on his site, post the pictures, give us all the wonderful content that his propaganda crew is suggesting was lacking from this release.

He could encourage fans to enjoy this historic release, sharing their enjoyment and adding his own rememberances.

Unfortunately, he's not doing ANY of that.

Instead he's writing poison pen letters, and someone is polluting the reviews with fake ones that pop up one day and are gone the next... reviews that suspiciously pre-date the release, reviews that appear in one country site, then get taken down and are re-written for another country site. Even loyal fans and being subjected to guilt tripping simply for buying this film that's been blocked for 32 years.

I wish Roger would call a ceasefire and live up to the claims of just wanting to share with the fans and fellow members. Wouldn't that be great? But so far he's just done the opposite.

Posted on 18 Sep 2012 07:57:16 BDT
Duncan says:
I haven't seen a poison pen letter in these reviews from Roger or anyone who is truly a Roger Hodgson & Rick Davies Fan. Personally I loved watching this DVD and seeing Roger's performance with the band back in a time where there was unity between them and there was excitement about the music and what it brings to the hearts and souls of the listener. How it changed my life and inspired me at a time when things were intense and I needed something to give me hope and Roger's songs for me were what gave that to me. So when I read these kinds of comments like the one here from Neil, I feel the poison pen is in the hands of the accuser, the one who points the finger at the falseness of the reviews as if you are some authority on them that others should believe. And the ceasefire should start with you giving Roger and the rest of us Supertramp fans a break from your negative rhetoric about things of which you know nothing about. If I want to give praise to Roger as one of my all time favorite songwriters and let the world know he was the author who penned and sang the greatest in my opinion of the Supertramp hits, then it is my God given right to say it here to people who want to read about something good instead of what feels like undermining communications to mislead people into believing what is not true about Roger as a man and as a talented musician and composer who gave us songs that will remain special to us for the rest of our lives.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 21:54:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2012 22:03:01 BDT
Ned says:
The above comment (not Jay's review) is another example of the biblical histrionic style of the numerous fake reviews that have been posted and subsequently removed.

Please don't pretend you haven't read Roger's lengthy essay about how he was involved in this release (then claims he wasn't!) and about how the video and sound quality are defective (now shown to be untrue)

Hilarious that 'Duncan' uses the exact same word ('intense') as other 'reviewers' to describe his or her connection to the music. I guess it's possible that multiple independent people might use the exact same word and religious invocations, but its seems waaaay too coincidental when they break out the textbook songwriting propaganda instead of actually talking about the product.

It's not me saying this, it's been confirmed by the actual producer of both this release and the original Supertramp material 30 years ago. I'll post his response here:

Russell Pope: "Peter Henderson and I mixed the audio for the Supertramp Paris DVD. Within the last 48 hours Roger has told me by email and personally on the telephone that he thinks the sound is fantastic and he came close to admitting the DVD is actually very good indeed. He also said that he would love his fans to be able to see it. But he has not said that in public . Instead Roger has just said, very publicly, that the film is poor quality. And there are those reviews on Amazon that give it 1 Star and say the sound is poor, the film is poor and then spend two pages ranting about "ethics". These reviews all share one thing and that is they use EXACTLY the same language as Roger's management use and are
obviously orchestrated. .......By someone somewhere........ and those disgustingly dishonest reviews keep appearing as if by magic. I tried posting a very positive review on Roger's sites and not only were they immediately removed I was also blocked and I got furious messages from assorted fans asking how i could do such a thing to Roger.

That's almost funny but also really sad. It's a very sorry situation. I have known Roger for 42 years and was always viewed by the band as a "Roger" person. On these topics and this DVD I regret to say that he is, mostly, catastrophically wrong. I think he has been very poorly advised on almost every level and I can't say too much but most of Roger's announcement is going to turn out to be a series of very unfortunate mis-steps by everyone involved. The gravest accusation, that the band removed his songwriter credits turns out to be mostly standard policy for all Eagle Rock products and nothing whatever to do with the band, who were as stunned as I was that this had happened. And although Roger's management are completely aware of this they are choosing to let his statements stand. Complicating the situation even further is the fact that Roger's own DVD from Montreal is also an Eagle Rock product and also has no songwriter or publisher credits. Oops."

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 22:52:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2012 22:54:20 BDT
Here's the next response sent by Russell Pope:

"No surprise, my posts have now been removed from a major independent Supertramp website. Obviously they were under a lot of pressure from Roger's deeply spiritual management team. The mere fact of removal should tell anyone with an IQ above room temperature what is going on.

Make no mistake, Roger looks brilliant in this film. It puts him at the center of the Supertramp stage in every way as will be obvious to anyone who sees it. His management tried to use this situation to demand a list of things that had nothing to do with the film itself. It had to do with who said what in the little booklet, and if Roger would be allowed to add his name on screen during the actual performances........... A truly ------ [absurd] idea.

Was Roger shut out of that part of the process? It looks like he was but that is a GIANT level below what he has charged in his public condemnation of the entire DVD. It should have been handled in private conversations by his spiritually evolved managers. Instead, they let him go forward with a sensational and highly damaging proclamation that just makes him look ridiculous. I have posted the cold hard facts on these sites in the hope that Roger will see how dumb this all is. I have only a very limited audience but I really hope he sees the ridiculous siituatiom more clearly now. I doubt it but I tried." - Russell Pope

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2012 09:59:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 10:09:22 BDT
Richard Moss says:
Interesting read from the posters above, thank you. I am a "prog rocker" basically found on the King Crimson side of the pool but Supertramp was right there with them and even more so of a favorite often. This classic lineup and this performance that is so off-the-charts-fantastic being kept from me, the fan(bloody well right dammitt) for 33 years or so due to what is criminal! Yes, it is a horrible crime(nope not gonna make a 2x) to keep this fued over releasing the Paris 79 going for for that long. Awful.
Wow, the fans suffered quite a bit, seriously.
I just want to say that I am sad about the friction that drove these two songwriting geniuses apart. It is the longest holdout /musical divorce of one of the most important band of the 70's that I can remember. It is strange and there is something deeper, bummer.

This DVD is fantastic, a five of a five, solid gold and just captures an amazing and tight performance. This is is studio polish and practice perfect for a live album. The musicianship is absolutely mesmerizing, enchanting, perfect. The harmonies on dreamer and John's little skit, I am not sure how to say much I loved that and how difficult I know how that is to sing, This was simply an incredible live performance by 5 superior musicians that became millionaires during a world tour and probably learning what that meant while on the road. I don't mean party wise because that was as sober a performance as far as I know. John is a crackup and I loved his little comments as well. Saw Rodger smile at those comments as well. I loved all of Rodger's and Rick's songs on this DVD.

I wanted to see all of Rudy and not the WW2 montage during a fine guitar solo and vocal medley but that is just my idiot opinion. Child Of Vision was my favorite song off of Breakfast(confess bought album for other songs and discovered this after album purchase). All the other solos were pretty much true to the studio albums (which is incredible) but the nice chops on this song's ending seem to have been an octave lower, meh ok. Oh and I loved the cutaway on Hide in your shell to the backup singers. Well Done. Dougie and Bob, tight and grooving, superb.I loved this DVD and I wish there was more footage of the fans rockin out. Oh yeah, I know, I am tweeking perfection to my own interest. So happy to see such an important band at their very best.

Posted on 16 Nov 2012 16:33:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Nov 2012 16:40:38 GMT
MNA says:
'Everything else back then was just 100% crap' - someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Supertramp were ok, but there were loads of bands/artists who were far superior, and to make a statement like that is just ridiculous.

Posted on 18 Jul 2013 21:21:32 BDT
Jay, what are the songs that are in audio only? (If they're the last 5 of the 'tracklist' in the Amazon 'written piece' on the product page - I would seriously think about not buying it you see).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›