1.0 out of 5 stars Truth or not?, 4 Sept. 2008
This review is from: A Course in Miracles: Combined Volume (Paperback)
I read this book years ago, and it is very attractive, and provides a good explanation of the course, which I have also studied. I have always wrestled whether the course is 'the truth', and whether my poor judgements about the bible were justified. One thing has sealed the deal for me - the course denies the presence/existence of evil, and wraps it up into metaphysical concepts. Alas, evil is real, and when you have felt it, you know that it is no 'projection' or anything else. I'm afraid that the only practical tool to get rid of it is the strong name of Jesus of Nazareth...and that just perhaps it was my judgement of Christianity that was the problem (to use course speak!).

It is uncompfortable, but I came to this realisation through hard experience. Be very careful what you believe is all I can say....There a couple of books around describing the same thing if you search on Amazon. All the best.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Mar 2011 08:53:55 GMT
Toni Sleddon says:
Evil is man-made, so to speak. You only felt it because you allowed it in to your energy.
There are 'evil' people out there, but they choose to be evil. Evil is simply 'negative energy' re-packaged and there is no ethereal energy, or energy from anything in nature that is negative. Only how we, as human beings, perceive it and how others use their negativity.
How you choose to get rid of what you perceive as 'evil' will work for you, because again, you choose it to work.
This is the basis of a Course in Miracles.
x

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2011 20:58:51 BDT
Toni, you have no experience and that I can see. The spiritual realm is as diverse as the animal kingdom and there are beings within it of a consciousness very different from yours and who would do you harm in an instant if given the chance. You may as well call these 'evil' as any other name. One experience is worth any amount of metaphysics - if you survive it.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2011 20:00:59 GMT
Nothing can touch the Christ in you.... what may be perceived as evil, experienced as evil, is a manifestation of the ego's creation, drawing on and feeding into fear. One may think evil exists, and if one does, one may experience its harm. On the level of form, where we have bodies that witness to separation and that thrive on fear, who is not subject to harm?

But in Truth nothing can harm us. Beyond the experience, beyond the fear, we are and always will be perfectly safe. This is what the Course will teach us if we persevere. We create our own reality while we think we are a body..... and my, how strong is the potential for evil as well as for good. But when we realise that in Truth we are not a body, we become free.... of fear, of evil, of judgement.

Love and Joy - which are the same thing - are all that remain. Every time I find myself judging and condemning, I suffer. But every time I suffer, I have the remedy: Jesus (yes, Jesus who walked in Galilee) will remind me - re-mind me - of my true identity, and then I am reminded of your identity.... we are all one. Whatever I am judging and condemning (and I do my share of these!) is only real on the level of form and I make it real by focussing upon it! Forgiveness undoes the ego and frees me to free you.

Peace, be of good courage, all is well.

Posted on 19 Apr 2013 13:36:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2013 13:43:55 BDT
M. R. Munter says:
In response to Mrs. Jm Dunsford:
The basic truth behind the saying "Judge not, lest thee be judged thyself" is indeed very profound and valid. But what about spontaneous and strongly felt emotions in response to, say, grave injustice (even if that injustice befalls someone outside our own personal circle)? If you involuntarily feel grief, anger, sadness and even the desire to retaliate against the perpetrators of said injustice, are you then "passing judgment"? If so, how are you supposed to stop this judgment, by telling yourself to stop feeling what you're feeling? Or are these involuntary 'negative' reactions to heartrending sitiuations simply a part of who we are, deep inside? Perhaps even at the level of our 'soul', if such a thing indeed exists?
That's not to say that I am not familiar with the ideas explained in the Course. They are, in fact, eerily similar to the teachings of the Buddha, Krishna, the Bagwhan Osho Rasneesh and the Advaita Vedanta. If not, in fact, identical. But they basically relegate all of human existence (every possible form of life, in fact) to nothing more than an illusion, a tragic mistake that is continued over countless lifetimes. Is there not something very basic in all of us that rebels against that notion?
At this point, some will reply: "Why yes, it is your false sense of self, your ego, that refuses to believe in its own non-existence." To which I once again reply: "do you truly, deeply, at the very core of your being, believe that?" If so, then you have apparently reached enlightenment in the Buddhist sense of the word. But even then one question remains: if we all indeed did start out as pure, selfless consciousness (or Love, or Spirit, or Joy, or whatever you want to call it), then how did we ever come to identify with these illusory living creatures that make up all of our incarnations? And what is to stop us (or our pure consciousness, or Spirit, or Love, or Joy) from again making this very same mistake after reaching Enlightenment? Or after winding up "safe in the Embrace of Christ Our Lord or whatever we choose to call it?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2013 15:20:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Dec 2013 16:23:07 GMT
Shell says:
If you indeed believe in Jesus as you proclaim, you will know that he came to earth (that according to ACIM doesn't actually exist) to die for our sins (which again, ACIM-wise, don't actually exist). This book is a work of deception to detract from the salvation of Jesus. Go back to the bible where you will be warned of such lies: "Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many" (Matt. 24:4-5). God created the world - we did not. This is a ridiculous idea!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (122 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £4.28