2.0 out of 5 stars Great specs, but does it deliver, is it reliable?, 23 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Canon IXUS 960 IS Digital Camera - Titanium (12.1MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD (Electronics)
Bought the 960 to replace my excellent Ixus 400, a camera that had been excellent over 3 years of use.
The 960IS appears to be the ideal replacement, more pixels, great features and a 40m waterproof housing available.
The image quality is acceptable, not DSLR standards, but great for a compact digital. The 640x480 video is outstanding, superb detail and high frame rate, great for home DVDs.

BUT.....
There are a couple of things that are not good.
When videoing in bright sunlight, say water reflections, my camera is displaying hundreds of vertical white and green lines. Looks line an old 8mm recording. I have never seen this on any other camera.
But, the main problem is the lens, couple of days ago I heard a "clunk", then the lens wouldn't retract fully. The camera displayed "Lens Error, restart camera". After about 6 attempts and another "clunk" the lens returned to normal. It hasn't lasted though, today the lens has just jammed out. Not good when you're in the middle of a snorkelling trip! This time it appears to be more drastic, the lens will not move more than 3mm.
So now I'm now in Fuerteventura, on holiday, with a £250 titanium paperweight.
I've contacted canon by email, no reply yet.
If you look on the net, you can see quite a few people have had similar problems with the newer Ixus cameras.

I hope this can be sorted as it's a great camera, when it's working!
The camera is a 5* piece of kit, but I can only give it 2* for breaking after 1 month.....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2008 14:55:45 GMT
Quantium says:
I would be interested to know how this worked out with regards to the repair. This review has put us off buying one, as there is nothing worse with an expensive item going wrong and then having to wait ages for it to be fixed. Indeed it can even be obsolete by the time you get it back (on the basis that many of these products only have a six month period before they are replaced by a better model.)

How long did Canon take to answer?
How long did they take to fix the fault?
Did it recurr?
Did they fix the "vertical lines" fault?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2008 10:41:41 GMT
Yes, I too would like to know how the above went...

Posted on 7 Sep 2008 08:58:32 BDT
Jas says:
I purchased the 950 model July last year and had a similar problem with the lenses, I contacted Amazon as the problem was within the one year warrantly and I was told to send it back to amazon for a full refund as they no longer stocked the model. Although I see that it is now available on line again. Amazon were great they refunded the camera cost, postage and I had an additional battery which I had purchased. still in the original packaging which I was also able to return. I am now looking to purchase either the 960 or 970 and given the comments posted I will go with the 970 in the hope that they have now resolved the lense issue. Outside of the lense issue, these models are far superior compared to other models of a similar price and function. I also have canon sureshot which is still working and I've had it for 17 years!! we only bought the digital because we are able to select the pictures that we want to print/keep which you cannot with the tradition 35mm cameras. I would suggest you contact amazon in the first instance for advise.

Posted on 8 Oct 2008 17:21:48 BDT
Fi Herbst says:
I have just come back from a holiday in Australia with my Ixus 900Ti which has now been superceded by the 960IS. I was doing diving with an underwater case and the camera was truly outstanding throughout. In my final week of the the holiday 'n was busy changing the battery and in a big jumble I dropped the camera from about shoulder height and it landed on the pavement right on the one corner. I knew immediately that it was game over, but fortunately for me, in spite of the casing coming apart slightly, the camera functioned perfectly well for another 3 days. After that, when zooming in, photos appereared totally white (in the strong Australian light) and back home in the UK zoomed images had vertical lines similar to the ones described above.

Maybe the camera above was dropped during delivery or something and the lens damaged that way.

Luckily my travel insurance is providing a replacement camera as it was deemed too expensive to fix.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2008 15:09:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Dec 2008 15:14:11 GMT
Hi, had a similar experience with a HD video camera this year - insurance didn't want to know about repairs - just paid up (less excess) - later I found a repair place on the Internet and got the lens assembly replaced for £97 - less than I received from insurers and I don't have to buy a new camera. They had a fixed £60 fee plus whatever needs doing (if it's cost effective) - might be worth looking at. Ok it still has some scars but so far seems to work fine again.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›