5.0 out of 5 stars Is your network ready for this ... ... ?, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL24W605 24-inch Widescreen HD Ready SMART LED Television - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
------------------------------------------------

This is my third Sony TV over some 10 years and they just seem to get better and better.

Like all the TVs I have seen in shop displays, the initial settings are intended to make an impact: Colour, contrast and sharpness bear little resemblance to real life. I'm reminded of the paint colours I once chose for the kitchen. Every visitor was impressed, but each morning when I sat down for breakfast, it was overwhelming. Fortunately it's fairly quick and easy to adjust the TV's on screen controls to something a little more sober and closer to reality.

This really is a SMART TV it has access to a host of online services, most of which I will probably never use. However, I was very keen to stream audio, pics and video from my computer in the den on the first floor. I started out using the built in wireless adapter to pick up my broadband signal direct from the router (also on the first floor). The TV (on the ground floor), showed that it had made contact with my PC ... ... and then it didn't ... ... and later it did again .... ... In any event the signal was too unreliable to show more than a few seconds of video before it dropped the signal.

Those few seconds were enough for me to see a very high quality image, and that encouraged me to buy a TP Link wireless extender. This was plugged into a mains socket hafway between router and TV and it extended the reach of the wireless broadband signal. So now I got to watch a whole hour of video ... sometimes ... and then sometimes not !

The problem, was that although the signal was a lot stronger, it was still vulnerable to interuptions from other wireless signals from mobile phones, laptops etc. and, as I live in a terraced house, some of those interuptions could easily come from either of my neighbours. Apparently an occasional interuption whilst surfing the net is unlikely to be noticed, but an interuption whilst streaming video will most likely drop the connection completely.

I soon realised that streaming video is only, just, within the limitations of my "wireless" network and the only way I could get a more reliable signal was to have a "wired" network. But I didn't really want to start trailing wires all over the house !

Finally I found the answer ... ... "TP-Link TL-PA451KIT AV500 Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit" . This is a kit comprising of two plug-in adapters that transmit the network signal through the mains cables. One is connected by cable to the LAN socket on the router upstairs and plugged into a nearby mains socket. The other plugs into a mains socket alongside the TV downstairs, and connects by cable to the LAN socket on the TV.

The term "Pass Through" refers to the fact that these adapters do not monopolise the socket ther are plugged into. They each have a socket built-in which allows you to re-connect whatever was in the original wall socket.

I am now able to stream material from my PC at will, and the sound/video quality is outstanding.

If I had a criticism of this TV it would be that the issues related to "streaming" and setting up a suitable network don't seem to be covered anywhere in the literature. But it's such a great bit of kit, that I still feel bound to give it 5 stars.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]