5.0 out of 5 stars "The Pursuit" was Well Worth the Wait, 18 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Pursuit (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
After three, almost four, years since the release of "Chasing Tales,"I was beginning to suspect that there might be "reasons" why "The Pursuit" wasn't being released. Finally, it arrived, and since patience is not one of my virtues, I order this "Special Edition" from Amazon.co.uk because the State's release wouldn't come until March 2010.

My suspicions were unfounded, as "The Pursuit" is one top-notched undertaking that gives us some of that traditional Jamie with "Just One of Those Things," coupled with some lively toe-tapping, foot-stomping tunes ("You and Me Are Gone," "Mixtape" and "Music is Through,") some thought-provoking soulful tunes ("If I rules the World," "I think I Love," "Love Ain't Gonna Let You Down" and "Grace is Gone"). Then, there are those that bridge two or more genres, light..fun..happy ("I'm all over it," "Don't Stop the Music," "We Run Things"). Then, there's the Oscar-nominated "Gran Torino" and "Not While I"m Around" that bridges to a new place that Jamie has hinted at visiting in the past, and this shows he arrived.

While I am somewhat of an Anglophile, but sort of out-of-touch since the BBC World Service dropped their entertainment programs several years ago, I am grateful that my step-daughter introduced to me Jamie Cullum's music in 2005. During 2006 we were fortunate to hear him in the States at three different venues (Phoenix, Nashville and Birmingham (AL)), and he delivered performances that were a tour de force, which left us always in awe. For whether the performance cost us $15.00 or $85.00, each time we received a 2-hour 25-minute performance that was a music delight. With Mr. Cullum showing off a true entertainer's chops at each performance. BTW, at the first concert we went to, in which we were sitting so close to the front that when Jamie passed his half-emply can of Guinness to the audience, my step-daughter got it. It was at this first concert that I noticed before the concert started, these college girls with very large women's undergarments. They were giggling, so I had to ask them about this, and I was told that if you get some ladies lingerie, and throw it on the stage with a note, requesting a song, he will play it for you. In Nashville, we were successful in launching a red thong that bounced off his shoulder, and dropped on his keyboard, where he expertly untied it (we had to wrapped it around a quarter to give it some weight) one-handledly while still playing, and read the note.

"The Pursuit" is a great work. It finds Jamie venturing into new areas that I find entertaining, adventurous and easy to accept. While I did notice in a couple of tunes a miss hit note ("Just One of Those Things" and "You and Me Are Gone"), his singing voice has developed into a great musical instrument in its own right, with no straining to reach any notes, no matter how high their range.

I have heard some say that they were enthralled by "Twenty Something" and then, felt less enthusiastic about "Catching Tales." If this was you, you owe it to yourself to check-out "The Pursuit." Five years ago, when I was listening to "Twenty Something," I wondered where this great talent would be in five years, little did I anticipate he could achieve this wonderful sound.

With this "Special Edition" of "The Pursuit," in addition to the additional tunes "Grand Torino" and "Grace is Gone" you get a DVD with performances of previously released "Photograph," "Get Your Way," "What a Difference A Day Made," "London Skies," other tunes and commentary on all the songs recorded on the CD. Plus, there's a thick booklet of lyrics and credits. Ala-in-all, it's a great set.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]