1.0 out of 5 stars READ BEFORE PURCHASE!! Impressed with product - 6 months on, disappointed with manufacturer support, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I was starting to get fed up with losing track of my swimming laps so did some research into devices for counting the laps for me. I was initially torn between the Swimovate Poolmate and this one. I was erring on the side of the Garmin, mainly due to the brand and reputation, additionally this watch has more features than the Swimovate version, including the ability to wirelessly upload all the swimming data to the Garmin Connect website and also to spreadsheet format. My only concern was the size of the watch and whether it would fit me - I have very small wrists at 16cm circumference. I need not have worried, the watch is light and very comfortable and has a large number of adjustments, it will even fit wrists smaller than mine.

The other advantage the Garmin has over its competitors is that the battery is user replaceable (CR2032), which negates the need to have the watch returned and resealed.

The device is very simple to use and clear to see when swimming. There is also an audible signal when you start and pause the device so you know that it is working. It totals your metres, laps, strokes, time swimming, time resting and calories burned. It will store about 30 sessions before it begins overwriting them.

The accuracy of the device is very impressive - I've had it miscount only once during the 2nd use - however, this was only due to the inconsistency of my stroke - not the watch itself. It clearly detects which stroke you are doing, providing you don't change strokes mid-lap. I'm not quite sure about the problems other reviewers have had with the website - I've experienced no issues whatsoever, you plug in the ANT USB stick, put the watch within 9 feet of your computer and the data is automatically transferred within seconds. If you do open swimming, I don't think this device will assist you however, as it's really only designed for pool use - it does need to know what size your pool is before you start.

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to analyse and compare their swimming achievements.

*****UPDATE: 15 June 14 ***** I originally gave the watch 5 star rating as I was so impressed with it's performance. The watch itself has not let me down, but I feel that Garmin has. I have had to replace the battery on my watch after 6 months use, not a problem in itself, although I would have expected a longer life as I only use the watch for swimming 3 times a week. The battery was simple enough to replace but I would like to warn potential purchasers that you have to be very careful not to damage the seal when replacing the battery. I have contacted Garmin to ask for spare replacement seals - so that I can change the seal whenever I change the battery and they have just advised me that the seals are NOT AVAILABLE to purchase!!! I'm now awaiting a further confirmation from them as to what happens in the event of a damaged seal - the implication being that either the watch will need to be returned to Garmin for repair or you would need to throw it away and buy a new one...... unfortunately, waiting until the seal has failed and water has destroyed the watch before knowing it needs replacing is rather pointless. It might work out more cost effective in the long run to purchase a watch that needs returning for battery replacement and resealing. I will do a further update when I receive any more feedback from Garmin.

******UPDATE: 15 June 14 ****** After waiting on hold for 53 minutes with Garmin Support (apparently "Monday is their busiest day"), I was told that the battery cover O-Ring is not available for consumers to purchase as the watch is supplied with one and shouldn't need replacing. However, the battery replacement instructions warn that the O-Ring is easily damaged and can become dislodged. I was told that there are "some in the office" and that they would send one out to me if I wished - not a terribly professional approach. I have suggested to Garmin.com/ideas that they include this part as an available spare so until they decided it might be a good idea, I suggest you look for an alternative device.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Feb 2015 22:24:12 GMT
kwstas says:
I had to change the battery in a few months in deed ( if you do that, the seal will not work after the battery replacement ) as a result my garmin swim died after a year of use so I waisted 110 pounds for a year of use i.e about 1 pound per use in the pool If you think that each of your swimming session worth one pound donation to Garmin buy this watch

Posted on 16 Mar 2016 10:13:03 GMT
I'm glad you took the time to write this review - you make a very good point. I was interested in the watch but I think I'll try contacting Garmin about buying seals BEFORE I seriously start to consider buying the watch. Maybe it's possible to source a suitable seal - no doubt Garmin just buy in an off-the-shelf part instead of designing and having a custom part made - I imagine it might be possible to find another seal, but that might not be that simple to find.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2016 13:40:34 GMT
The Wrinklie says:
Thanks for your comments. My watch is still working very well and my husband has changed the battery several times now, taking a lot of care with the seals. I haven't tried to find some replacement seals for a while now so they may well be available on e-bay or similar. They're certainly still not available as an official spare part on the Garmin website. Overall, I'm very pleased with the watch.

Posted on 18 Mar 2016 15:12:49 GMT
I just rang Garmin on 0808 238 0000 (15min wait) but was told (and they confirmed this in an email to me) that "For your information: If you require a replacement seal for the Garmin Swim you can contact our support team and we will send a replacement without charge. "

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2016 15:16:09 GMT
The Wrinklie says:
Thanks for the update, that's very useful - glad they've realised that these will be required when people change batteries.

Posted on 17 Apr 2016 19:14:55 BDT
Suha says:
Thanks a lot for taking time to let many be informed ..

Posted on 6 Jul 2016 01:27:21 BDT
Darcy N. says:
I also had problems with the seal. After the first battery switch, water started to get into the watch ruining its display.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›