4.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Summary of a Great History!, 27 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Modern Art: The Best of John Foxx (Audio CD)
Somewhere in my record collection, tucked into the sleeve of the 7" single "Burning Car" is a flexi disk that was issued with that wonderful publication - Smash Hits. "My Face" wasn't my favourite track of John Foxx's, but somehow I really enjoyed listening to it, despite the very crackly media it was produced on (flexi disks are not HiFi!). The last time that flexi disk saw daylight was just over a year ago, when I finally packed away my turntable, having transposed the records I listen to regularly to some form of digital media. Then very recently, I see Modern Art on sale, and cannot believe that A) it has "My Face" included, and B) is on sale for less than five pounds.
I scanned in great detail to ensure the offering was genuine and not release of cover versions by obscure, unheard of artists. I took the plunge and I am not disappointed. If you ever wanted to know the history of John Foxx, it is all here. I have most of the material in some form, but the newer stuff is not something I have kept up with.
The early stuff is all classic synth material. A must for any music journalist to study as part of a very moving period in music's history. I'd call this "classical music" in many ways! "Burning Car" still moves me - it has drama and energy unlike anything of it's era. It is both inspiratinal and chilling. Just think of the technology used to create these sounds and another word springs to mind; Pioneering!
During my fanhood(?) I kind of "lost the faith" shortly after the Golden Section was released. I did buy "In Mysterious Ways" but it never got much play time on my turntable as it seemed way off mark to me. Now that I hear the two tracks from that album on this compilation again: "Stars on Fire" and "Enter the Angel" and after all these years, they have a new sound, and a clever construction that I never appreciated before. Still a bit Euro-pop, but unique nevertheless.
Then I get to the new stuff that I haven't heard before. Sunset Riding is a natural extension of John Foxx's obsession with the Church setting, and if you put this record in the sleeve of the album "The Garden", you'd have a perfect match! Then, we move into something very new. Is it Kraftwerk? Is it Orbital? It has trace elements of many things, and it is something my ears know well, but just can't quite place. I like it though, and it is John Foxx's collaboration with Louis Gordon. It works, and it updates the sound so well.
Then the last two tracks are my flexi disk favourite "My Face" followed by a mild remix of "He's a Liquid". So glad to ave the former in difital format where it really does belong!
You cannot spend five pounds better than on this. I'd have paid a fiver just to have a digital copy of "My Face" to complete the history I wanted, to have all the other amazing stuff thrown in too? Wow!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]