5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive autofocus and high ISO performance., 10 April 2008
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
The D300 is my first DSLR. I bought it because it combined the three things I wanted from a DSLR: Build quality with weather sealing, reliable auto focus and good image quality above 800 ISO.

In fact it provides more than that because it is built like an ergonomic tank with almost everything falling to hand or finger with ease. Only the `Mode' button is a little awkward. The autofocus has proven to be everything I hoped, distinguishing similar coloured objects in good lighting and only faltering when using the extreme left or right AF point. Moving in by one AF point solves the problem. Image quality up to 1000 ISO is much better than I expected and occasionally I've got away with 1200 ISO.

Like my previous 2 Nikons I have found it a very intuitive camera to use and generally the menus are fairly easy to get to. The wonderful LCD screen is very viewable and does a pretty good job of reproducing the scene you've just photographed. I do wish that it there was slightly quicker way to get to the custom `shoot' and picture control options. Having said that, they are fairly easy to get to. Currently I have my shoot options set up as `walk-around', `monochrome', `wildlife' and `action'.

Given the actual file size produced, anything less than a 2gb CF card (75 images in raw at 14 bit is quoted but I've got 140 images out of a 2gb card) is wasted really since you'll changing cards quite often.

My version came with Capture NX, which made the box well worth the money paid since the camera alone is a delight. Having taken it out in snow and light rain I am confident in the weather sealing.

Although I've only used the high speed `burst' option once and on a slowly moving subject, all the 5 frames taken were in focus. Using continous focus and all 51 AF points to photograph runners during the London Marathon, the camera tracked subjects very well, generally only losing them when the lens could not cope with the high relative speed towards me at shorter distances. The in-camera picture modes for processing are good with vivid giving a rather punchy effect above that of Velvia which is a litle excessive for me, and a subdued neutral effect that works very well for portraits.

I've used it with a range of lenses including an AIS 50mm f1.8 and a pre 'D' 24mm f2.8 AF lens. Both produced wonderful, pin-sharp images.

Given the AF and high ISO capabilities of the D300 I cannot wait for the time to get out looking for wildlife and the airshow season!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]