ARRAY(0xa7a98fd8)

5.0 out of 5 stars So many features and decent quality, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40EB-S Compact Camera - Silver (18.2MP, 20x Optical Zoom Leica DC Lens, Wi-Fi with NFC, Built in GPS, 24mm Wide Angle, 50P Full HD Video - AVCHD) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I bought 2 of these, one for myself and one as a present for one of my daughters.
I researched to death many cameras, sites and reviews and was a little worried of some purist's views of poor quality for this model, but I have to say I can't really fault the image quality for a compact.
This has replaced a 2 year old Sony wx7 that tended to over saturate and had too few manual and creative controls.
This is my first lumix camera so need time to learn the menus and quirks of the features.

Pros.
Very fast and accurate focussing, however as with just about any compact this will suffer in low lig ht.
Unbelievable zoom for a compact. Can't figure where the lens comes from, seems to extend beyond the expected size.
Quick menu gives useful access to common features.
Intelligent auto mode is the most accurate I have encountered and seems to home in on the right option most times and very quickly.
Creative control. Great range of control plus a number of clever image effects that give interesting results to sae post processing for immediate effects.
Amazing range of burst shot options including with flash an focus.
720 video at 100 fps is great fun.
Wifi remote viewfinder is excellent although a little fiddly. Not sure that this is lumix issue, more likely just the process of wifi connectivity taking a few seconds each time.
Great to see dedicated video button on the top of the camera. More natural and easy to use. Sony and many others have video button on the back, top right which makes it difficult to press without shaking camera.
Superb panoramic mode. Best I have used.
Nice grip on front of camera makes it easy to hold and stabilise.
Fast startup, particularly compared to my Sony and especially for video.

Cons
Half shutter press a little imprecise, or maybe I just need to get used to it. Time will tell.
The combinations of features and different modes is perplexing and not easy to remember. I.e. what features are available in which modes.
Features such as burst setting are set for each camera mode, so if you use multiple modes then you have to re engage feature for each mode, then unset them all. There may be a way around this, not figured out yet, or I may need to think through the mode needed more first!
Charge time is a little slow at over 3 hours, but rated at 300 shots, so may not be too much of an issue.
I really don't understand the need for so many pixels. I would prefer better quality at 12 mpel.
Touch screen more of a gimmick and I find myself taking pictures in error with touch shutter. I may disable this feature.
Cant yet find a way to change the default wifi key.
Lens a little slow with f3.3 at widest aperture.
With hindsight, would I have still bought this? Yes definately, positives outweigh any negatives which are really me just nitpicking rather than real issues.
I will be giving this a thorough workout on holiday soon, so will update the review with more feedback.

Thought I would add more having used the camera for a number of months now including hundreds of shots during the summer holiday.
First really noticeable feature over any other camera I have had is the amazing zoom. Especially in good light where the increased f stop at the high end doesn't impact so much on image quality.
Next is the brilliant panorama capability. So much easier to capture a good panoramic picture than with previous cameras
The panasonic image app is a bit gimmicky, but works well once you realise that you need to connect to the SSID of the camera to do remote control, I don't think the control works over another wifi zone.
Biggest frustration is still the fact that features are specific to each mode of operation, so need to be set and unset in each mode. It's easy to forget that burst mode could be on for programmed mode if you have been using intelligent auto etc.
I loaded the extra maps, but can't see any real practical use or benefit, but gps feature is good and will really be useful when looking back at pictures some years ahead I suspect.
Intelligent auto is pretty good at getting the right settings if you are happy to let it.
I disabled the touch shutter after taking too many pictures of the floor. The only touch screen features of real use are the touch focus and flicking between images in replay mode. For every thing else just use the buttons.

I don't believe there is a perfect camera out there, although everyone has a different view of what that would look like so it's a near impossible ask of any camera manufacturer until they launch a customisable software load. ( listen up Panasonic, this would be a real USP )
Still a great choice and one that I would make again so I am convinced it is the best travel super zoom on the market.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]