Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Start2 - simple but satisfactory, 20 Jun. 2010
This review is from: TomTom Start2 Satellite Navigation System - Europe (Electronics)
The name, Start2, implies what you will get - a GPS that has some specs of the other models either hidden or removed. However that's what I wanted.

I have borrowed more sophisticated GPSs, both Garmin and TomTom from friends, so I know what is to be had, but I did not find the bells and whistles all that useful. Recently I borrowed a Start and found that it did what I needed - which was to be directed to addresses in towns that I don't know.

So what's missing? The screen is small, but that can be a plus if you don't want a large object suspended above your dashboard, or in your pocket. Your options are more limited, but again, that may not be such a problem. For example, on the more sophisticated models you can specify, as an option, to go the fastest route, or the shortest route, or to avoid motorways. In my experience, those are not worth much. The quickest route, for example, can take you literally a 100 km further, just to shave 10 minutes off the journey. If you ask for shortest, you risk being taken through towns in some totally bizarre ways (I base this statement on transitting towns that I know).

The Start2 does some of this for you. For example it will start by trying motorways, but will check with you if you want to pay tolls. If you don't, then it will plot an alternative, often shorter but taking more time. It will allow you to specify "via", which is the safest way of getting it (or any other GPS) to plan a sane route.

The must-have options are still there, such as chosing language, voice, units and so on. And it still does nice things - like lane guidance, like telling you your speed, and also showing the speed restriction on that road, if known, and speed cameras.

The thing you might want to consider is price. You can get older, but more sophisticated, models for about the same money. Whether this has some more up-to-date technology embedded I don't know.

Anyway, simple is what I wanted, and I'm perfectly happy with it so far. Haven't tried to update the map, which has caused problems for some people on some models. I'm in no hurry!

>>>>Updated 3 July 2010: I have now connected the Start2 to my computer. I asked to update the map, but the response was that I already have the latest map, which is good. I did a "map share" update too. No probs at all. Also, power seems to be provided via the supplied USB cable so you won't need a mains adaptor.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jul 2010 13:04:48 BDT
PeterRH says:
A very helpful review. I was about to order one of these and spotted from the spec that it has an integral memory (ie not a removable SD card). How much memory is spare with all the European maps loaded? I'm used to being able to load quite a few POI databases.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2010 17:05:08 BDT
Sorry - not something I know about. I think it does tell you what memory it has if you are plugged in to your computer, which I am not at the moment. I just wanted Europe, so for me it was not a prob ...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2010 19:06:05 BDT
PeterRH says:
Thanks for reply. I think there should be enough spare memory but I also need the ability to manage POIs which I don't think it has so I'm going for the TomTom One instead.

Posted on 11 Jul 2011 18:04:46 BDT
FJK Sonnex says:
There are wider versions but since you are rarely in need of a panorama for the road ahead, the only virtue in wide screen format may be for extra (not always welcome) text messages. I recently sat in the back seat of a taxi, where the driver had chosen to mount his satnav on the windscreen at eye level, perfect for a sideway glance & ideally suited for the less wide format. I was easily able to keep an eye on progress over the drivers right shoulder, so good for for the enthusiastic backseat driver as well ...... 8-)

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 16:24:40 GMT
Wolfy Smith says:
Very usefull and sensible review, as a result I will order one today.
Thanks so much, after trawling through pages of the usual drivel it's so refreshing to find a genuine reviewer

Posted on 8 Dec 2011 15:08:50 GMT
Really great review. I dont know anything about SATNAVs and wanted to buy one for as a xmas present for my boyfriend. so this review really helped me out and have bought this SATNAV.
I just have one query - the tech details on this site says that 1 Lithium ion battery required. As its a present i have not opened the box. can you tell me if the battery is included?if not where can i get one from.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2011 21:07:20 GMT
Thanks Helena - everthing should be in the box; I certainly didn't have to buy anything else and can't imagine that has changed ... Still using it, still going strong!

Posted on 8 Dec 2012 15:37:44 GMT
very helpful, I just bought one for my husband for the C word. thank u anne hannigan, Ireland xx
‹ Previous 1 Next ›