4.0 out of 5 stars The Lumie Bodyclock Vs. The Phillips Wake Up Light, 24 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Lumie Bodyclock ACTIVE 250 Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock with Extra Audio Options (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Struggle to get up in the morning? Think a Wake Up Light style alarm clock might be the answer but can't choose between a Phillips model and a Lumie? Read on my friend...

This is the second Wake Up Light alarm I own, so I'm going to do a comparison review for you. I also own a Philips HF3485 Wake-up Light which I've had for about a year, and in my opinion it's an easy choice between the two: The Lumie wins hands down. It creams the Phillips in almost every way.

Out of the two, this Lumie Bodyclock is the best. By far. Firstly, in my opinion it looks a lot nicer than the Phillips model and takes up significantly less space on your bed side table. It's still big (if you haven't seen the size of these type of Wake Up Light alarm clocks before you might be surprised) but the Phillips model I own is so big it's verging on ridiculous - it's more of a lamp that alarm.

Also, although it's still not going to win any design awards, I think the design of this Lumie model looks a lot nicer than the Phillips model too - but that's down to taste I suppose. The lamp section of the Lumie has openings in the back (in almost a type of grill), which although you can't see, allow slightly more light to escape out the back. This throws 'rays' along my wall in a sort of sunshine effect, and although perhaps a little twee, it is quite nice and a cleverly integrated design feature.

But the design not only looks better. It is better. In many ways. For instance when using the buttons. The Lumie's buttons are arranged as one might expect, sensibly laid out along the front of the clock and all grouped together; on the Phillips though you have buttons along the front and also along the side of the light, and this is just stupid as when you want to use these side buttons you have to hold the lamp in place with your other hand or you just push the light of your bedside table.

The actual alarm sounds too are much better quality as well. You still get a good array of sounds to choose from (standard beeping, cockerel, morning chorus amongst them) but they are noticeably better quality recordings than the Phillips model, in which a loud background hiss is very noticeable. While we're on the subject of hiss and sound - one thing the Lumie has which I don't think the Phillips does, is a White Noise option to help mask noise and help you get to sleep.

Next up, is the the snooze function. Again, I prefer the way its implemented on the Lumie Bodyclock. You had to give the whole of the Phillips unit a good hard whack to get it into snooze mode (there was no button) something I never liked doing, whereas the snooze button on the Lumie is a normal button set right in the middle of the unit. Also, when you set the Lumie to snooze the light turns off which it didn't on the Phillips.

The bulb inside the unit of the Lumie will be much easier to replace too. And also, I suspect, cheaper. There are a few are in which the Phillips unit does have the edge though. One thing I did like about the Phillips alarm which the Lumie lacks is that you could set two separate alarm times. And also, the Lumie is a bit more complicated to set up. However - once you have taken the time to set it up, this isn't really a problem ever again.

I suppose the biggest question of all though is, do these Wake Up Light style alarm clocks work? Well, for me the jury is still out on that one. When I first got my Phillips alarm clock I found it left me feeling like a Zombie all day long but now I have got used to them, I suppose I do tend to now wake up before my alarm goes off (or rather before it sounds). Whether or not I feel any better or worse for it though I couldn't really say. I still get tired. I still hate mornings. And I still hate getting out of bed. And I don't think anything will ever change that.

Both units offer many more features than I've covered here and neither alarms are cheap, so be sure to look into things further before parting with your cash. I've just tried to cover what I think are the mains differences between the two unit, and benefits I think this Lumie has over the Phillips wake up light, which left me very unimpressed considering its price.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]