4.0 out of 5 stars Odd...but amazing., 10 May 2008
This review is from: Chaosphere (Audio CD)
It's funny, I remember a few years ago before I was into extreme metal, and my little brother was copying me in my musical tastes, as they do... one day he came to me and told me about this new band called Slayer that he'd heard that were really cool. As our parents didn't want him being into anything Satanic etc, I had to convince him that that band were evil and that he should stay away from them. So I came on Amazon and found the page for Chaosphere by Meshuggah, and clicked on the sound clip for Concatenation, then clicked off the window so he wouldn't see. Then i told him to listen, that this was Slayer and 'don't they sound evil'. We both agreed it sounded pretty evil. At that point I couldn't ever imagine listening to Meshuggah, as it was just too heavy, and, well, evil for me.

Fast forward a few years to today, and my tastes have got significantly heavier, encompassing some death metal amongst other heavy genres. I decided to revisit this album having remembered the above story, to see if I could 'handle' it now. And, on first listen, I still couldn't.

This album is not like any metal album you have heard before, full stop. It has many of the hallmarks of an extreme metal release; the bludgeoning guitars, powerhouse rhythm section, and manic vocals. However, the time signatures and changes on this album will somewhat fry an uninitiated listener's brain, all merging into each other until the album just becomes a mass of chugging, offbeat guitars, devoid of melody.

Since listening to the album through earlier, and emphatically NOT getting it as before, I went out to the cinema to see Iron Man. It was a cool film, but having got back and turned on this album again, suddenly I have realised just how cool Chaosphere really is.

Essentially, this album is a futuristic, soaring death machine that comes to destroy, and does with ease. It's cold, it's mechanical, it's nightmarish and unrelenting. And it's the perfect almost-soundtrack to a kickass technology/robot film.

If you give it the time and the attention, you will come to realise that Chaosphere is, simply put, awesome.

Or, you could just go and see Iron Man first.

[Add comment]