2.0 out of 5 stars Poor volume and poor sound quality.....not happy, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black - 6th Generation (Electronics)
I wish I'd checked a few online reviews before I bought this - I can see that I'm not the only one who is unhappy with the iPod Classic.

I already have an iPod Touch 64gb and I'm perfectly happy with the sound quality on that but my music collection has grown way beyond the storage capacity and I assumed that the 160gb Classic would be identical in terms of music output.

Having just received the Classic this morning (direct from Apple, not an Amazon purchase) I synced a few tracks and tried it out and I was immediately disappointed. For a start, the volume is MUCH lower than the iPod Touch and I simply could not get any decent power out of it, even through a pair of £200 Sennheiser headphones (and that was with max volume, removing the limit from the setup menu). Even worse was the sound quality which simply does not compare to the iPod Touch or any other music player I could mention - it has a noticably 'tinny' sound with poor frequency response that makes everything sound awful.

Checking online, I can see others feel the same as I do - and I just phoned Apple's return line and, thankfully, I can return it for a refund. When I told them why I was returning it, the guy on the phone didn't exactly sound very surprised.

Disappointing though and - as it stands at the moment - I have no way of storing my entire iTunes library. I really expected better.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Oct 2011 08:20:10 BDT
Mike Mac says:
Please don't think I'm being 'funny', but if you find the max volume inadequate - regardless of comparisons with previous versions - then perhaps you should have a hearing test. There's a lot of info out there about an entire generation who may develop premature hearing problems simply because of the walkman/ipod phenomenon. The sound waves from in-ear phones in particular converge in the inner ear at a point which can permanently disrupt the 'vestibule' area. You're better with noise- cancelling external 'cans'. If you must use 'buds', the general rule is that if anyone else can hear your music you've got the volume too loud and are risking permanent damage to your hearing. Just a thought...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2011 20:07:53 BDT
Danrag says:
Actually, I was using external headphones - Sennheisers which cost me a fortune. I can't even use in-ear headphones, just not good enough quality and there's definitely nothing wrong with my hearing - one of the reasons why I'm so fussy probably. I'm going to give a Cowon player a try as the sound quality is apparently remarkable.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2011 23:12:07 BDT
I have a Cowon S9 and a Cowon J3. I also have a 160gb iPod Classic and there is no comparison in the sound department at all. Cowon sounds superb.

Posted on 29 Oct 2013 17:44:53 GMT
I think that the European Union issued a directive that personal music players (MP3's etc.) had to limit their volume output to a pre-determined level. This was an attempt to minimise hearing loss because people were playing music etc. too loud for their own good. I can't state the exact EU directive but I am pretty sure I am correct. It is for this reason that many of my friends who travel to the USA have bought their iPod there and all have confirmed that there is a significant volume difference between USA iPods and those purchased in the EU. The EU Nanny State some claim. For those that cannot source a US iPod I suggest the Headphone Amplifier by McKinley which is shaped like an Apple Nano and does boost the volume of my iPod but requires and input and output cable (supplied). So... if you are serious this might be the way to boost an EU iPod.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (577 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £132.00