4.0 out of 5 stars House of Small Shadows, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
I’ve read a couple of books by this author, and they are great spooky horror reads. The Ritual in particular was both horrifying and enthralling so I held out great hopes for this book.

“DON’T NEVER COME BACK”

Catherine Howard works for Osberne, a firm of valuers and auctioneers, and is asked to value the contents of the Red House, which had been the home of M H Mason, master taxidermist and puppeteer until he committed suicide many years previous. Since then, his niece, now 93 years of age has been the curator of his works, most of which have never been seen by the outside world. (See – spooky already!) Only the elderly Edith and one servant live in the house; the rest of the rooms seem to be filled with specimens of Mason’s work – horrifying, vivid recreations of desperate moments of war and death and destruction; skilfully captured animals frozen in a moment in time; dark visions, chemical aromas, skitterings around the corners of each corridoor, hushed noises outside the closed door of Catherine’s bedroom. Catherine has always lived on the edge of her nerves; will this experience drive her over the edge?

My goodness, this novel spooked me. Almost all the narrative is that of Catherine, as she finds herself in a nightmare she can’t seem to get out of. So the reader is drawn into that nightmare as she descends into it, and we feel and discover the things that she feels and discovers at the same time. I found this book totally riveting; I was engrossed from the first page to the last, but only put it down when I couldn’t bear to keep reading at night – I think this is a ‘to be read in the bright light of day’ book. Great stuff.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Feb 2014 20:19:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2014 20:21:09 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Great review sounds right up my street as I love horror your tempting me to purchase this you teasing me again to part with my cash lol.

Had a PM today on one of the forums saying I'm to jokey with my comments on your reviews & comments saying im annoying.

Hope you don't think this as I think your reviews are excellent it's just after event's ive gone through in my life you learn to develop a sense of humour to cope.

so here's my serious comment.

Ah this was an awfully jolly read my dear reader I found this a spiffingly good review that captured the eccence of what the story's about without giving anything away,

So keep up the jolly good reviews old girl & don't forget our date at the Ritz hotel I here the Potato Waffles are exellent.lol

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 21:15:25 GMT
Keen Reader says:
Thanks timelord007 - I thought this was a great book.

What serious!? They specifically said about your comments on my reviews!? I'm astounded - no, I don't think you're too jokey and I don't think your comments are annoying! Goodness gracious, if I didn't like it I wouldn't take part in our conversations! My goodness, I'm sorry someone did that, but I certainly don't think that at all! I'm shocked.
I appreciate your comments and I know exactly where they're coming from - please don't take whatever somebody else has said to heart.

I say old chap thanks ever so for your top-rate comments, I appreciate them. I'll remember the Ritz, you'll be the chap with the red rose in your buttonhole I'm sure. Mmmm, potato waffles .... mmmm ...

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 22:59:39 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Tea or coffee with your waffles my dear, I'll be the guy with the blue police box inside the restaurant lol.

It was on one of the Doctor Who forum's as I advertise my reviews on there.

There some sad people on these forums who like to try & create misery well I'm to thick skinned for their nonsense.

If you like horror may I suggest Stephen Kings The Mist.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 23:26:58 GMT
Keen Reader says:
Tea please! I shall look out for the police box :-)

Oh, they're just sad people I wouldn't let them get to you.

I do enjoy a good horror - thanks for the reocmmendation. The Ritual by Adam Nevill which I read previously of his books was really scary if you're looking for a good read - it even has heavy metal death bands in it!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 23:43:56 GMT
Timelord007 says:
You sold me I ordered this.

I reviewed The Mist today & BF Doctor Who I.D.

The Mist is a great novel & a very good movie adaption that keeps the source material of the novel.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 23:45:49 GMT
Keen Reader says:
I shall check it out, and your reviews. Thanks timelord007 - happy reading! I might have to put The Mist on my tbr pile for when I'm not so busy but I shall note it down and get to it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (44 customer reviews)

£7.99 £5.59