4.0 out of 5 stars Charming little rhythm game, 6 April 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Having bought this on the strength of the demo (see Nintendo, they do work!) I haven't been disappointed. It's a sort of Professor Layton meets Elite Beat Agents mash up. You play "Phantom R", a young art thief searching for his missing father. The action is set in Paris, which is charmingly rendered and the meat of the action is in the rhythm games which have a good variety to them. Like the best games in the genre, when it all comes together it makes you feel like you really do have some great musical talent which I can assure you I do not. The situations are amusing ("no-one can escape the police rollerskating division!"). I defy anyone not to smile at this game!

There are some puzzles too, but these are fairly simplistic, which is ok for me as I don't really want distracted too much from the core musical elements.

Downsides are few - it is fairly easy (you won't fail many games even on your first try), so the challenge will be to get 'A' ranks which makes the rather loose scoring scheme a bit of a disappointment. It also doesn't autosave which is rather a throwback in the world of video games, so an absent minding exiting could cost you quite a bit of progress! (On the plus side, it has 3 save slots).

The 3D is good, though cross-talk is an issue with the art style, and it is hard to keep from jiggling about to the music, which plays havoc with the stereoscopic effect. Arguably those are system problems (although the latest Nintendo first party offerings have made good progress in mitigating these 3D issues).

In summary, a fine and charming little game.

EDIT: I have now completed this game, and feel it only fair to update my review. I complained above it was fairly easy, but the challenge level REALLY ramps up towards the end. Luckily you can buy "items" with in game currency to help you get through. So, if you are holding of as you are afraid it is not challenging, don't be!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2012 15:35:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2012 23:15:19 BDT
"Downsides are few - it is fairly easy (you won't fail many games even on your first try), so the challenge will be to get 'A' ranks which makes the rather loose scoring scheme a bit of a disappointment."; yeah, I would agree with you on this. Nice review, I might do one myself as I've played through to chapter 6 now.

Just finished it! Wow, it may not be as good as Professor Layton in some respects, but it more than makes up for it in others by doing it better. Now I have to finish the bonus content.

I'd say to anyone who has tried the demo, watched gameplay videos and read a review on Amazon, and still isn't sure about getting this I would say don't hesitate a second longer, it's definitly worth it!

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 17:08:55 BDT
Terence says:
A game that would have not interested me untill I tried the demo.Will buy this as soon as I complete Kid Ikarus and Metal gear.

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 18:00:30 BDT
Thank you for this. Was waiting to read one worthwhile review. I did read up on it and saw some clips that did make the game look very fun. This was the nudge I needed to commit myself to buy it. I think I will however wait for the price to drop a little.

Posted on 6 Apr 2012 21:38:35 BDT
publicity says:
Very detailed review, thanks! I will also buy it when the price drops a little :)

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 12:00:21 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Argos online sells it much cheaper. Have a look there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (31 customer reviews)

44.99 7.40