1.0 out of 5 stars Time and Austerity, Disappointment and Farewells..., 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Eastpak Provider Backpack (Luggage)
Firstly let me apologise to you as my review will begin 5 years ago, It was when I was in need of a new backpack. A friend had suggested a bag from Eastpak a brand i was unfamiliar with, but my friend was already using, so I handed over my hard earned money to the retailer in Covent Garden.

Unbeknownst to me, the 5 years would turn my bag from a bog standard carry all to a reliable companion, when as both lightly and fully loaded, it coped with the stresses, knocks and bashes of London public transport, on the bus, trains and tube. It went with me to places in Europe and the US being a trusted "friend" that carried whatever I needed without any fuss.

Its life was long and was worked hard, only to finally retire - RIP - December 2012....

So a new search for a worthy replacement began with haste and from extensive reviews, searches and opportune moments arising from the Yuletide period, I found this model of bag that looked similar to my departed friend and seemed to tick the right boxes and was discounted.

HOWEVER.... despite its arrival being prompt as per amazonian legend and collecting with excitement from the post office depot, I could only use the backpack from 14/01/2013 to 18/01/2013 as the right strap popped out of the seam from the bottom with a noticeable sound only to be attached by a thread.....

Shocked by this turn of events I have lost faith with a brand that brandishes quality and reliability, possibly to help justify its pricing, yet which cannot produce a bag that can barely hold up for a less than a week.

Be advised and maybe consider, that when buying a backpack bricks and mortar real world retailers should be your 1st place to visit then decide if online is necessary....goodbye eastpak it was a good five years...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2013 08:11:12 GMT
Ace reviews says:
What happened to the first Eastpack bag that had to be "retired" after only 5 years?

You do know their bags carry a 30 YEAR warranty don't you?.....

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jan 2013 01:58:42 GMT
Mr. W. Blue says:
Just general wear and tear, the zipper lost its connection not tracking both teeth, the material had ripped in other areas and the covering material of the supporting back cushioning had worn thin in the bottom corners...according to what I read of 30 warranty (not guarantee) they would not cover wear and tear which didn't seem to make sense to me as normal use of the bag during the 30 year period would accumulate wear and tear...so seemed misleading, but since its retirement I have noticed that the functions and facilities in my one backpack has now been spread thin over more than one model of bag....

Hope this helped..

Posted on 6 Mar 2013 15:09:30 GMT
Daniel Jones says:
I've just had the exact same problem as you have, I'm currently looking to get it replaced as it has happened after less than 2 months

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2013 16:36:13 GMT
Ace reviews says:
Hi - have you contacted Eastpak direct? If so could you let us know how it goes with getting the bag replaced / repaired please?

Have heard that their CS is very good & would like a real world view in case one of mine packs up within 30 years!
I am a big fan of Eastpak bags Eastpak Unisex Adult Pinnacle Large Backpack and Eastpak Unisex Adult Bookworm 1 Bag

Can't say I've had any problems with my Pinnacle in around 7 years of ownership.

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2013 13:40:02 GMT
Daniel Jones says:
I haven't, no, but that was largely because on their website they said I would have to ship my bag to Germany at my own expense to get it repaired, so I'd be out of pocket money wise and I'd be without a bag for uni, because of this I emailed Amazon who will give me a full refund (they cannot replace the bag as it is out of stock) and I have already ordered a new bag to replace this one.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›