5.0 out of 5 stars A timely presentation, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: Will Many Be Saved? (Paperback)
How should we look at "extra ecclesia nulla salus" today as a new era of evangelisation begins. Theology from a a much respected author.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 50 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 10:57:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2013 10:59:48 BDT
J Grainger says:
Sorry, I never use expletives. You think I'm arrogant. Fair enough everyone is entitled to an opinion. You referred to me as a 'miserable sod'. I have not referred to you in disparaging terms.
It is my opinion you aren't of average intelligence. I base this on your own posts. You asked me to provide a link; I advised you to search on Google. You said you couldn't find anything?????? It is astonishing that anyone could fail to find at least some information on just about anything, never mind time or eternity, by using Google [or some other search engine].
The 0 out of 1 people finding my posts don't add to the discussion is just childish. But I'm sure you wouldn't got 'recruiting' other people to chip in - would you?!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 14:52:08 BDT
J, Grainger:

Please stop going on about time. Read Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe", it says much about time. But it will take you some time to read it. It will be be time well spent, though you will still have all the time in the world left.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 15:10:33 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 May 2013 06:50:20 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 11:47:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2013 11:48:18 BDT
J Grainger says:
HP why 'stop going on about time'? I didn't raise the issue and merely responded to it. Thanks for the book recommendation but I've read it. You might recall that one main issue he stresses is the 'need for a new theory'. Why? Because what science understands at the moment cannot explain 'time'. Brian Greene is, of course, an expert on string theory [as far as anyone can be an expert on an unprovable theory] If you've read Hawking's 'The Universe in a Nutshell' he highlights the problem by pointing out that to prove string theory you'd need a particle accelerator the size of the solar system.
DSS. I don't know why you thought there was a new theory of time?? On the contrary, I stated quite clearly that no-one really understands time. I'm not sure how you interpreted this to mean there was some new theory which did explain it?!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2013 12:48:42 BDT
J Grainger:

"Because what science understands at the moment cannot explain 'time'."

There is no time. Only here on earth, which is broken down and "measured" so that humans can understand their (small) place in the universe.

"Brian Greene is, of course, an expert on string theory [as far as anyone can be an expert on an unprovable theory]"

A fair point. But as little (of any great importance) can actually be proved on this planet, I would say he is in pretty good company. String theory may be nonsense, but so is much of the stuff taught in churches because they have little to no understanding of the Bible.

Anyway, we're forgetting the subject of the book: "Will Many Be Saved?"

Saved from what, and saved for what? I would say the author is not much of an "expert" either. Maybe he should keep his mouth shut, or his keyboard still!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2013 22:27:08 BDT
J Grainger says:
You ask saved from what and for what? You recommended that I read Greene's book. I had read it. To answer your questions may I suggest you read "Will Many Be Saved".
If you want an answer to your two questions can I suggest you read Gaudiem et Spes 22 and Lumen Gentium 16 which will give you a good insight to your query. Of course, if you've read "Will Many Be Saved" which you quote you'll already have a good idea. By the way, can you tell me the first word of page 163 of the book? Just to confirm you are critiquing a book you've actually read!?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2013 09:30:20 BDT
J, Grainger:

I wasn't aware I had quoted the book. I may have read it as a sample, but I am sure. The whole point of the discussion is to see whether I want to spend almost £10 on a book that may add little to my insufficient knowledge.

The reviewer referred to the book as "Theology from a much respected author". Maybe he should have added the word "Catholic" first!

As Catholic theology is largely bankrupt (and so is much of the Evangelical, Eastern Orthodox, Coptic, etc) then I see little value in the book, even more so in the "time" spent reading it, even if it could get hold of a free copy.

I refer you to Acts 1:11. Taking the historical (time limiting) approach Christians must be waiting for Jesus to return "in the same way" he left. I am not sure this has happened!

I consider being "saved" as living in a world where justice prevails: I don't think this has happened yet, do you?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2013 12:14:09 BDT
J Grainger says:
Either the author is respected or he isn't. In academic circles people from any discipline usually respect other people even if they disagree with their views.
Catholic theology is largely bankrupt? Says who? You? Oh, right.

You give a definition of being saved. An interesting proposition - but one entirely based on your own philosophy. I understand why you say you don't think this has happened - even if I have no idea what 'Honrus Publicus' is meant to indicate.

But anyway, perhaps, on being saved you are in full agreement with Martin. The clue is in the book's title; he, like you, obviously doesn't think 'being saved' has occurred yet.

Posted on 12 May 2013 08:42:58 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 May 2013 06:50:34 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 15:44:10 BDT
J Grainger says:
DSS. Thank you but no apology is necessary. We all have opinions which differ from others. It would be a very dull world if everyone agreed.

Review Details

Item

5.0 out of 5 stars (3 customer reviews)

£16.99 £14.46