5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable and poignant read, 14 July 2013
This review is from: The World According to Bob: The further adventures of one man and his street-wise cat (Kindle Edition)
I read 'A Street Cat Named Bob' in one sitting in April last year and was completely hooked. I've shared my 47-year life with cats (not owned - you never 'own' a cat) so I know how endearing, intelligent, independent yet therapeutic they can be. However, I have never met a cat anything like Bob.

Having enjoyed James' first book so much, I was delighted that a second one had been published but a little nervous that sequels can sometimes be disappointing. How wrong could I have been. This is even better. It's written with a lot more confidence, which James obviously is starting to have in himself and that is wonderful. Bob is still the amazing cat that will happily ride on public transport, walk around the city streets and fight off muggers yet still does cat things like bring in gifts of dead mice and live frogs.

I'm really starting to believe that there is 'Karma' but, in James' case, it may be backwards as what he and Bob are doing now for the Blue Cross and the homeless charities are the 'good deeds' that he initially thought he was rewarded for, but couldn't remember, was meeting Bob.

I'm a fan of 'The Big Issue' and my husband and I regularly buy from our local seller, yet I'm appalled at the treatment James received and reported in this book. The support you're still getting from him is honorable but get your act together!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Aug 2013 10:41:34 BDT
M. Delaroche says:
I agree. Their intolerance is quite shocking. Indeed, the lady who reported him when he was only asking for a light was downright nasty. After all, all she needed to do was confirm his story with the guy he asked a light from. Why did she ignore his protestations and just walk away, then report him? I can only assume that, regrettably, a handful of people are jealous of James when they should be happy for him getting his life together at last... Life is unfair. What James did in helping a little creature in distress when he had barely enough money to feed himself was absolutely amazing. He has earned his current success and he and his beautiful Bob deserve a better life and loads of happiness.
Martine

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2014 15:46:54 GMT
Onora says:
Hello Martine,
I agree with every word you wrote. However, I fear there is an undercurrent of a hatred of cats which makes me very sad.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 09:45:47 GMT
S. Horne says:
Some people just can't be helped though eh M.Delaroche? James and Bobs story was/is one I could not put down. Looking very much forward to reading the next!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 09:48:35 GMT
S. Horne says:
Seeing some folks enjoyment does not please some.. I don't think it was about Bob nor James, in my opinion anyway! I own snakes and tarantulas, some don't "get" why I have chose them to be my pets! lol But Bob chose James! Ignorance is bliss .. Some are too darned ignorant!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2014 09:50:23 GMT
S. Horne says:
OOps I should add that I have not read this one yet lol silly me, I am on the wrong page! do'h!

Posted on 25 Feb 2015 14:09:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2015 14:09:34 GMT
A. Flynn says:
Read the first book and thoroughly enjoyed it, have just bought the second installment and looking forward to reading it.Bob and James are certainly a great pair made for each other ,I follow Bob's life with interest and look forward to further stories.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›