4.0 out of 5 stars Looking Back, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: New Blood (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Gabriel for years ever since I saw him in Genesis in support of Johnny Winter at Hull City Hall!!
I've seen most of the tours including a trek to Bochum in Germany to watch him mainly because my recently separated wife had grown a pointy nose, started cackling and riding a broomstick and would be taking her cuckolding partner with her to the UK shows.

I've lived 'So' first hand through a traumatic time.... but

Of late the man has seemed to have lost his muse..

So I waited and waited and finally got the CD in the sales for 4.99 Great British Pounds that I knew it would soon sink to after a couple of months only to see it fall to 2.99 a week later.
I bought the CD after seeing the man on Jools Holland's show where he was brilliant.

I did not want to enjoy this music simple because I loved the original so much.
BUT I have to say this is an enjoyable collection.

I am enjoying it much much better than I ever thought.

I came to conclusion that I loved the originals BUT in the past have paid to see and hear them be sung live in Peter's concerts in variety of styles with a variety of different guest backing or joint vocalist.
(I'm thinking of Youssou N'Dour's soaring vocals on In your Eyes to name just one here.)
So this is just another extension of that.

But this has a slightly bitter twist.
Peter has aged.. So have we all and at the same rate.
I believe he has reached a point in his life and career where he can look back.
Relive his triumphs and failures and how each has tempered and forged his music and songs over these decades. He is coasting but he has every right to. He has been a pioneer an innovative genius who has brought great joy to me and millions of people.
This is too small a place to list his achievements here of course.

I believe this is a collection of songs that have grown up with the man just like children. Gabriel songs are like his daughters now full grown and starting families of their own.
This is a look back by a great man.
The album is a treasury of wonderful lovingly treated songs. Imagine an old suitcase full of photographs. The box opened and each gem is taken out one by one to be examined, the memories fllod back, loved and relived.

A niggle but to me the one track I simply cannot stand is Don't give up.
The reason Ane Brun's voice.
It really really must be me because so many say they adore the voice. I believe it's the Emperor's new clothes because each time I hear it annoys the heck out of me it simply makes me grind my teeth! I've tried believe me I have but now I fast forward it each and every time!
I simply cannot imagine why he did not let Melanie do the duties as she did I believe on the tours.
Still each to his own.

A plea.
If you liked this review but because of what I say about Ane Brun's voice wish to put a vote as unhelpful please don't.
Rather just add a comment that you think her voice is wonderful or vice versa.
I will revisit the review and add a suitable apology if one is required of a suitable comment if not.
Just a thought....

I wonder if Peter would ever consider doing a similar treatment of old Genesis songs.....
Watch this space!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2012 10:28:14 BDT
genesisfan says:
Have to agree with you regarding Annie's performance, very hard to enjoy. While most people love the original Kate Bush version I think that the Paula Cole duet on the Secret World Live album is by far the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2012 11:00:17 BDT
Glenn Cook says:
Phew That's two of us so far!
2 nil to me as we speak.
A confession?
My favourite Genesis album is.. A Trick of the Tail.
Now isn't that a hard thing for a Peter Gabriel Fan to admit?

Posted on 22 Sep 2013 12:46:36 BDT
S. Haddow says:
Interesting review. Deciding whether to buy this but the 2.99 price is clearly long gone. Already dreading don't give up which is one of my favorites. But interesting to see how as a top 10 reviewer you become so nervous about voicing your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2013 00:35:15 BDT
Glenn Cook says:
Bitter exprience.
I once read a review from a Pink Floyd guy who said the album he reviewed wasn't the best but he still gave it 5 stars.
I asked him why if other albums were better and deserved 5 stars that this, less than satisfatory did not merit the 5 stars.
I was polite, very clear in my explanation for asking yet I received a great deal of abuse.

Now when I have revied other Cds, for example the Nice, and given the CD 3 stars I received a lot of negative comments and references in other peoples reviews of my comments. (they had not actually read what I had said only what they thought I had.
Many neg votes folowed.
Fair comment but quite a few people insist on giving a negative vote unless you give Cd, book or whatever 5 stars.

In voicing my own personal views on Ane Brun's vocals I received some flak so I added that comment.

Hope this explains, thanks for your comments.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (48 customer reviews)

Reviewer

Glenn Cook
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Location: South Cave, near Hull UK