5.0 out of 5 stars it's an easy read (and what's wrong with that, 23 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat (Kindle Edition)
I first read this when I was 17- and almost got kicked out of the school library for making those 'trying-not-to-laugh-and-end-up-snorting-instead' noises.

30 years on- and here I am with a shiny new toy (my Kindle Fire) and browsing which freebie books I can pop on it (cheapskate that I am)...and what do I see but Three Men in a Boat. Curiosity kicks in and I decide to see if it's anywhere near as amusing as I seem to remember, or if that's just nostalgia telling embellishing. It's been known to do that to me before.

Deciding I have nothing to lose (because, y'know, cheapskate...) I download and begin to read.

Oh dear heaven!

I not only produced the same giggle-snort noises of yesteryear- but had to give up reading it it in the evening because I was literally crying with laughter and was in danger of disturbing everyone.

Yes, it's an easy read (and what's wrong with that?) and yes, if a reader can't get it into their head that it isn't a bunch of 21st century guys with modern thoughts, attitudes and ways of dress/ speech etc- but Victorian 'fellows' then they'll probably not 'get it'. Sadly that's their loss. IT's the sheer beauty of the language and period that make it so darn funny. There are some passages which meander off into a bit of a history lesson now and then and may seem a little out of place with the humourous tone overall- but you can feel Jerome's genuine fondness for his subject and it never hurts to actually pick up a little knowledge here and there, after all.

The only real criticism I have isn't of the book itself- it's the slightly odd formatting. The kindle version lacks the original illustrations but does have random words or word at the beginning of paragraphs and chapters. I rather suspect that these words describe the illustration that should have been there- almost as if someone has removed a picture but left the 'tags' in place....so that you may see 'Dog swimming in water' right at the start of a paragraph about Montmorency (J's dog) being in the river. It made me wonder if the English language was having a funny five minutes before I realised what it probably was- and learned to ignore it after that.

Five stars from me- because if a book by a Victorian chap about other Victorian chaps can make me laugh aloud and have to dry my eyes and wipe my nose whilst doing so, some 125 years later- it's got to be worth a look, hasn't it?

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]