5.0 out of 5 stars The Tudors, 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Tudors: Complete Season 2 [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I think a lot of people are missing the point when it comes to Micheal Hirst's take on Tudor England. Eyes have been rolling (as opposed to heads...), and it seems like everyone's set to condemn it purely because Jonathan Rhys Meyers didn't fatten up for the role, nor don a ginger beard and codpiece. Woe!

So there are some historical inaccuracies, and yes, there's a LOT of nudity - but no one's requesting the immediate burning of all the many biographies and history books concering the period, and asking the shelves to be replaced with DVDs of the sexed up version. This is a television programme! And I'm certain that this series has forced a fair few to get down to their library and look up what the tudors were really like.

Isn't anyone fed up of the cliche'd fat man with a fake orange beard, take on Henry VIII? This is a fresh new take on old school history for a new generation. Stunning sets, beautiful locations, a fairly 'educational' but entertaining script, great costumes and a young cast. Let's start seeing the tudors for what it is - enjoyable programming :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Oct 2008 11:24:12 BDT
Dan Thompson says:
i agree, well done!!

Posted on 8 Oct 2008 19:39:10 BDT

Posted on 15 Oct 2008 18:21:55 BDT
R. Jones says:
I couldn't agree more (I wouldn't have given it five stars but that's for reasons quite apart from the historical inaccuracies and the physical appearance of the actor). It seems strange to me that it's the very people who claim to have read every book in creation who do this sort of thing down. I don't remember The Tudors ever being marketed as a documentary (although I'm happy to be corrected), so we have no business expecting accuracy. As a classicist I have had to tolerate the awful, weird and wonderful efforts of the last few years which seem to have heralded a real fashion for Greeks and barbaroi in the cinema and on TV. Even though I am perfectly able to spot the (often glaring) inaccuracies, I am able to enjoy it as it was intended. It is escapism. It is fanciful. BUT at its very best it can inspire the receptive viewer to read further into the subject.

Frankly I'm astonished that anyone would tune into a TV drama expecting a history lesson, especially when their repertoire is (supposedly) a veritable library. What could anyone with such reading suppose that a TV drama could add to their extensive study? For goodness sake, let folks have their Friday night fantasy. Incidentally I think the chap who plays Charles Brandon is to die for, really lovely. I'd take an hour out of my studies to watch him any old time. I'm only flesh and blood, after all!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 20:42:32 GMT
RP says:
I hate to disappoint your narrow mind, but I don't watch soaps. The pathetic jab was a plentiful insight into the mind of the old fashioned TV viewer, however. Are you still watching in black and white?

Posted on 23 Dec 2008 15:03:11 GMT
Ms Walton says:
I agree, I think the series has been very well done. I think people are missing the fact that there is still a good amount of historical ACCURACY in this series! More so than other Tudor films I have seen. Sure, its not perfect but it makes up for any inaccuracy in so many other ways that it would be stupid to write this series off.

I loved it and found it a real treat to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2009 23:09:46 GMT
R. White says:
I couldn't agree more, so what if a few bits of history aren't correct? the fabulous costumes and rauchy nature of the series make it highly entertaining.
Have just spent the afternoon rewatching some of this with my sister, and we both agree it's great and could watch it time and again.

Posted on 5 Feb 2009 14:18:17 GMT
i love this show.waiting for my copy off season 2 to arrive on blu ray missed it on tv so cant wait.COME ON SEASON 3
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (111 customer reviews)

29.99 10.00