5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best small business accounting software on the market, 23 Jun. 2010
This review is from: QuickBooks Pro, 1 user (PC) (CD-ROM)
As an accountant i use a number of different book keeping packages, and in the case of Quickbooks have been using it since version 5. As far as the 2010 version goes, adding back in multicurrency was a welcome change, and overall performance wise it's a bit quicker than the 2008 version as well. VAT has been changed somewhat again, with the main difference being that you can now file online through the program, although beyond that there arent that many changes.

As far as various versions and windows 7 goes, you can actually run anything from V.2005 onwards on windows 7 (either 32 bit or 64 bit) - although 2005 and 2006 do need to be patched before you start using it, although once this has been done i've found anything 05 and onwards very stable.

For someone looking at their first piece of book keeping software, it is still by far the most user friendly, simple, and flexible software out there, and while you could keep your figures on an excel spreadsheet, the main benefit with quickbooks is the flexible reporting, which allows a business owner to see exactly how he is doing at any given time. The other benefit, is that figures tend to be much better controlled through a proper book keeping package, which should save you in accounting fees as well (and given average chargeout rates, it might save you the cost in the first year).

The only proviso i would say however is that for new users not familiar with book keeping software, some help might be needed in getting started, as it can be a little daunting for someone looking at this for the first time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jun 2010 12:58:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jun 2010 13:00:41 BDT
Hi Richard

Zak from Intuit here. I just wanted to say thank you for the review. We appreciate your balanced opinion as an accountant as we've worked hard to make the new version easier to use with the new and improved features. If you have any questions then please do contact me at zak_akhimien@intuit.com.

Kind regards

Intuit

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2010 20:16:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2010 20:17:03 GMT
I have been considering buying Quick Pro. I have spoken to the sales team and decided to look at Simple Start first. The tutorials do not work. I have been on the online community board and checked to find that this is a problem experienced by many others. The recommendation by the arbitrator to just go straight to the product and ignore the tutorials as it is so easy is condescending and unhelpful. If the company cannot make its sales pitch work (Simple Start) properly it does not fill one with confidence for the main product. After reading the other posts and peoples difficulties with upgrades and VAT I have taken a balanced decision not to buy the product, but to continue with Spreadsheets.

Posted on 11 Jan 2011 00:30:46 GMT
is this the uk version, as i have qb2008 and like others cannot get this to run with Windows 7 64?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2011 13:56:05 GMT
Hi G. P.

Yes, this product page is for the UK version of QuickBooks. QuickBooks 2008 hasn't been designed to run on Windows 7 64bit. Our support site offers more information on operating system compatibility: http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/INF12783. If you have any more questions please do get in touch with our support team who will be happy to help.

Regards

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2011 14:21:40 GMT
Very dissapointing Zak; I've give up with Intuit, used for a decade+, first the VAT nightmare now the 64bit issue (I understand Intuit USA have supported the Windows 7 64bit). I'm off to sage.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2011 11:31:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2011 11:32:44 GMT
Suzy P says:
Zak, I am using Quicken 6 for Windows; how would I survive changing to QuickBooks Pro (PC) ? I did try QuickBooks a while ago but could not cope with the payroll side of it. I'm using Access Payroll SE for payroll and find it suits me. I just feel I should move on from Win2K for my book-keeping software! Otherwise, I could use a Mac-based application...
Regards
Susan Platter

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2011 14:00:36 GMT
Hi Susan,

Upgrading would be a simple proces by using one of our upgrade kits. Please send me an email at zak_akhimien@intuit.com and we'll send one to you. There maybe some discrepancies in VAT due to the changes in our VAT engine but those can easily be rectified, should they occur. We've made many improvements to the payroll product. If you're interested in a trial let me know in your email otherwise the current version of QuickBooks will work fine with Access.

We also have a beta version of QuickBooks Online for the UK that is compatible with Mac and PC that you may want to try. Visit the beta site at this url for more information - http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/online-accounting/quickbooks-online-beta-program.jsp

Regards,

Posted on 17 Jul 2011 21:40:53 BDT
Is it possible to upgrade from Quicken 2004 to Quickbooks? I am forming a limited company, with 2 employees, after 15 years of being a sole trader and wondering whether to go for Simple Start or Pro, can you advise please? will it be possible to transfer customer data from Quicken or will I have to start from scratch?
Lydia H

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jul 2011 11:54:21 BDT
N Sullivan says:
Hi Lydia,

You can certainly upgrade from Quicken 2004 to QuickBooks. You would need our conversion kit which we can supply free of charge on request to bring your data over.

With regard to the question of which product; it would depend on whether and how you record VAT as well as a number of other factors (what kind of business, stock requirements etc.). To this end, I would recommend that you speak to either myself or one of my colleagues about your requirements before making your decision.

You can email me at nathan_sullivan@intuit.com

Many thanks
Nathan
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (48 customer reviews)

Out of stock