3.0 out of 5 stars Great game, poor remake., 15 Jan. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Not the best remake, if I may be honest. The game itself is brilliant, Halo CE still remains one of the best Halo games ever made, after all. But there are a lot of issues with this remake, and as an older fan of Halo I wasn't too impressed with it.

First of all, the graphics. I'm just not feeling the new design for everything. Dark and suspense-filled levels like '343 Guilty Spark' have been ruined by their over-the-top colours and lack of darkness/fog. Another graphical change that bothers me, most of the remade stuff seems like they just copied and pasted the Reach models, instead of actually making the classic models look good. That's a rather lazy way of doing things, if I may be honest.

Last but definitely not least, co-op mode looks like the one thing they definitely overlooked. Online co-op lags like hell and split-screen co-op squashes down the screens to an unbearable extent, even if you have a big screen TV. I remember being able to play split-screen no problem with the original Halo CE on my old 16 inch TV. Playing split-screen on the remake is now unbearable on my 32 inch widescreen TV. It's unfortunate, because co-op is one of the main things that I remember so fondly in this game back in the day and it just seems like it was wasn't given much attention at all during this remake's development.

As I said before, great game but remaking it needed more effort. A lot more. If you don't care about graphics too much, I recommend just picking up the original Xbox version, or the PC version.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Oct 2012 13:48:51 BDT
Whilst I appreciate that you are entitled to review as you see fit, I do think that your few complaints deserve a little clarification.
The colour schemes adopted for the remake are more in keeping with the direction of the highly successful follow up titles.
If the idea of the rework was to relaunch the original to the army of fans who arrived late to the franchise, then this was a sound choice. New inductees who are used to the vibrant colours of 2,3, and ODST, are unlikely to enjoy the more sedate and bland scheme of the original.
The same goes for the inclusion of Reach character modelling.
The multiplayer visuals you deem "unbearable" are probably a result of your being used to the 4:3 ratio of your 16 inch portable as opposed to the 16:9 ratio of your widescreen 32 inch.
I genuinely do see where your complaints hail from, but I also can't help feeling they are unfair... After all, for those of us who played and adored the original... We do have a very simple solution :
Play the original!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2013 14:43:20 GMT
L. Haywood says:
I can't remember 2 having the same art style as Halo 3 and Reach. In fact, I've played Halo 2 for the PC recently and I can say that it was true to the original Halo design. Just about all the Forerunner designs look exactly the same as the ones in Halo CE, just more detailed. Play "Quarantine Zone" and get up to the part where you're near the Index Chamber, and you'll see what I mean.

And while changing the overall art style of the remake so it's more like Halo 3 and Reach might be a sound decision, I can't say that copying and pasting Reach models was a sound decision as well. More like a lazy one.

What I was trying to say about my TVs was that I actually felt like I could see more with my smaller TV when I was playing the original game than I could playing the remake with a friend using my widescreen. In my opinion, they should have changed the split-screen views to vertical like it is in Halo 2. That would have solved the issue that I got while playing this game split-screen.

Finally, in regards to your solution, that's exactly what I'm plan on doing, and it's what I would recommend as well. It's sad that the original for the Xbox is actually more playable on the 360 than the one that was specifically remade for the 360. :(
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (237 customer reviews)

£34.99 £14.91