37 of 37 people found the following review helpful
Great music, interesting behind the scenes footage,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Michael Ball - A Life on Stage [DVD] (DVD)
First of all, this is a "Best of" DVD. If you already have Michael Ball's concert DVDs "Live at the Albert Hall", "Live in London", "One Voice" and "Past and Present" and are not interested in learning about Michael Ball off stage or the reasons why he chose to sing the songs on the DVD, then don't buy this DVD because there are no new songs on it.
If you don't know Michael Ball yet or don't own his concert DVDs, this DVD is a great introduction to his work on and off stage. The song choices are great and cover a big spectrum of his work: There are slower and more up-tempo numbers, songs from musicals but also elder and contemporary popsongs. The song section of the DVD is split into different sections: songs from musicals, songs from movies, up-tempo numbers and Michaels favourites, adding up to 25 of Michael's best concert performances.
If you already own Michael's conert DVDs, but are interested in the reasons he chose to sing the songs on the DVD or his work on the radio, as a West End producer, host of a TV show or in the preparations for a concert, then this DVD is also worth buying. Apart from Michael personally introducing each of the songs of the DVD there are four "behind the scenes" interviews about the themes I mentioned that are very interesting and entertaining to watch. I was especially amused about learning why Michael's probably never going to wear a white suit at an open-air concert in Scotland again . . .
All in all, I loved the DVD and would buy it again.
For those who are interested here's a list of the tracks contained on this DVD and the concert DVDs they're originally from:
1. Hot Stuff (Live at the Royal Albert Hall)
2. We have all the Time in the World/Millennium (Live at the Royal Albert Hall)
3. Winner takes it all (Past & Present)
4. The Way we were/The Rose (Live at the Royal Albert Hall)
5. The Blues Brothers Medley (Live at the Royal Albert Hall)
6. Tell me it's not true (Past & Present)
7. Gethsemane (Past & Present)
8. I know where I've been (Past & Present)
9. High Flying Adored (One Voice - One special Night)
10. Loving you (One Voice - One special Night)
11. Love changes everything (Past & Present)
12. Don't stop me now (One Voice - One special Night)
13. Dancing in the Dark (Live in London)
14. Crazy (One Voice - One Special Night)
15. Savoy Story/Rehab (One Voice - One Special Night)
16. I don't feel like dancing (One Voice - One Special Night)
17. Mercy (Past & Present)
18. One Step out of Time (Live in London)
19. You can't stop the Beat (Past & Present)
20. Mack the Knife (Past & Present)
21. This is the Moment (One Voice - One Special Night)
22. Empty Chairs at empty Tables (One Voice - One Special Night)
23. The Show must go on (One Voice - One Special Night)
24. The Prayer (Past & Present)
25. The impossible Dream (Past & Present)
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jan 2011 10:02:08 GMT
A great review - really helpful to have the list of songs so that I know which I will be duplicating.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›