3.0 out of 5 stars Gosh, shot in the rear again..., 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 (Electronics)
As a keen gamer and occasional music listener I wanted a pair of surround sound headphones that would add to my gaming experience but not embarrass themselves when I listened to music. I have a pair of Sennheiser stereo headphones that cost about 40 a couple of years ago. Their sound was very good but only stereo.

The build quality of the G930s is very good. Solid, durable plastic and metal headband. It seems heavy to hold but not so when wearing. I need to use specs; that has not been a problem. In use they're pretty comfortable for hours at a time.
Being wireless they need to be recharged about every nine hours - a nice lead is supplied.

The supplied drivers would not work on my Windows 7 64 machine so I downloaded the latest from Logitech's site. The control panel is straightforward to use.

The earcups are sound-deadening such that I've missed several phone calls even though the phone is on the wall next to my head. That feature works very well indeed.

Controls on the headset are easily found without looking and responsive.

Sound is okay and I won't go much further than that. They lack a bit of bass punch but I've not yet done much tweaking of the control panel.
In stereo mode everthing is fine but when you switch to surround sound the game sounds and music appear to be angled down from above, as if you were wearing a halo with little speakers attached. Sound from in front comes from the very top of your head.

The mic is good and delivers clear sound (so I'm told).

There is no really good surround sound effect. I've tried it in MW3 and BF3 as well as World of Tanks. Surround sound is there, but not especially distinct. I do have a set of Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers but I can't use those in the evening because of the volume - hence my need for headphones to begin with. The speakers beat the G930 for surround sound effects 100%.

If you fancy buying these thinking they'll be the answer to your 7.1 sound prayers, then you'll be disappointed.

For this I paid over 130 and frankly, it's _way_ too expensive for what is very much a compromise device.

Three stars. Lost one because of the lack of clear 7.1 sound and the second because of the price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2013 09:10:16 GMT
joker4835 says:
Hi Man, does your sound card support 7.1 sound? if not the drivers will upscale it for you hence not perfect 7.1, hope this help.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2013 20:56:03 GMT
A. J. Weston says:
These headsets come with a USB dongle that contains the drivers. A dedicated PC soundcard or onboard sound are not involved. I don't know if Logitech have a firmware update but really doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 12:00:25 GMT
That's incorrect. Any sound going through USB can only transmit 5.1 - The headphones do split the channels into 7.1 for you but a 7.1 sound card wont make your digital surround sound experience any better.

Posted on 22 Mar 2013 16:46:58 GMT
A. J. Weston says:
I've had these 14 months now and it's clear that the surround effect is pretty good in World of Tanks but not in any other game. Additionally the headset does not switch off automatically when the PC is shut down. This means the battery is flat when you come to use them the next day. Turning them off using the button means a 5-second press with your fingernail. Not ideal in both respects. I use them as a wired set these days.

With the headset comes the charger/aerial with two neatly bundled cables. One cable to a PC USB socket and a mUSB cable from the charger to the headset. This cable has just failed, so now I'll have to use another cable from another USB socket to get them to work.

Posted on 1 May 2013 23:00:54 BDT
A. Moraru says:
there is a problem w ur settings or harware. i use them for more than one year in mw3 and surround is perfect

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2013 16:54:32 BDT
Plastix says:
Mine auto turn off just fine. Never had any battery issues, even when returning after weeks away.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2013 20:44:22 BDT
A. J. Weston says:
Finally my pair packed in. I think it's the USB connector on the headset: it won't charge or work when plugged in. I'll have to return them. In the meantime I've bought a pair of Sennheisers that don't cook my ears. Having said that I'd be happy with the Logitech if they still worked.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (168 customer reviews)

149.99 86.00