5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Expose Of Many Dietary Myths....., 28 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Primal Body, Primal Mind: The Secrets of the Paleo Diet and New Discoveries in Brain and Longevity Science (Paperback)
Let me state at the outset I am not being paid for this review and am not associated with the author of this book in any way.

I picked it up quite by chance and feel so strongly that the message it conveys is of such importance in light of current levels of ill-health and obesity, that I decided to write a review.

Having followed a high protein, medium fat, low carb (zero gluten) diet (Paleo diet) for umpteen years and recommending it to my clients (I am a Kinesiologist), I can state without fear of contradiction that the mere exclusion of carbs, gluten and dairy from one's diet will go a very long way to improving one's overall health without pills and potions - a VERY long way.

I am 51 years old, 5'5", gym 3X a week, weigh 79kg (just over 12 stone so BMI over 30 - apparently obese - JOKE) with a 31 inch waist, my blood-pressure is some 112 over 65, body-fat 11 to 13% with NO cardio work at all, and best of all, my doctor NEVER sees me. In fact they have taken to phoning me to attend clinics now that I have reached a half-century (seems they think everyone is coming apart at the seams once they hit 50!) - and I put my current physical and mental health down to one simple thing - my diet.

Yes the diet does require re-educating yourself to eat differently, see fats differently and planning your grocery shopping differently, and yes your body may initially crave what you have been feeding it for so many years, but once the initial 10 to 14 day period has elapsed and your body started to rebalance, no pill or potion on earth will match its effectiveness in rebuilding your health.

We have been fed so much dietary mis-information over the years for (what is in my opinion) the sole purpose of financial gain, that seeing the 'wood for the trees' has become increasingly difficult. Don't be suckered in by big-pharma - they are not the least bit interested in anything other than profit, and GP's on average have limited knowledge (and even less interest) in the nutritional correction of health imbalances - sorry, but that has been my experience and that reported by many, many of my clients.

Interesting enough, the people I have found most resistant and closed-minded to the potential of this eating-style are traditionally trained nutritionists. I guess I can understand that if you have spent 3 or 4 years getting a diploma or degree in this discipline and a lot of what you have been led to believe turns out to be incorrect, you could be somewhat defensive!

I disagree with the reviewer that gave this 2 stars. I don't eat grass fed meats, drink unpasteurised milk, etc - I use what is available with a heavy dash of common sense. The author doesn't insist on this, merely regularly recommends it as the best course of action if possible.

In my experience this way of eating is entirely practical and also doesn't have to be expensive. It is undoubtedly more expensive than 'Pot Noodles', piles of bread, potatoes, pizza and other stodge, but what price your health?

I do also recommend The Diet Delusion and the Atkins range of books as resources for this way of living, and research behind the Paleo-type diet.

This book will ruffle some feathers! I have already encountered this when I put people on a similar diet and got results that pills and potions couldn't - not popular with the pill-pushers by any stretch. Big bread business and other junk food manufacturers won't like it, neither will all the vested interests in grain, etc - but don't let that deter you - try it for yourself and feel the difference.

I whole-heartedly and unreservedly recommend this book!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Feb 2012 06:28:58 GMT
Great review.. I haven't even read the book yet (only just ordered it) but from the look of the books description & everyone's comments on it I know I'm gonna love it! I've read many similar 'nutrition' related books a few years ago, & just hope that books like this become a lot more popular..

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 14:54:25 GMT
I am 48 years old (female), 5ft 4, weighing 10.5 stone, waist 28, perfectly mobile, no joint pain, no other pain anywhere. I have never been in hospital (apart from childbirth) and I never visit the doctor (apart from getting health MOT's), my blood pressure is always a perfect 120/7, my cholestrol is always under 4 (this is contentious I know) and all other blood and health tests are within the healthy range.

I am a vegetarian (for 17 years) so I do not eat dead animals, which is (apparently) the main source of protein, I say apparently because it is not! A vegatarian can eat a high protein diet if they so chose, it just takes a greater insight into nutrition and a greater dedication to their health. I do not eat a high protein diet, btw. Just a very vary varied (minus the 'obligatory' dead animals) and heathly diet.

I have read lots of these types of books because I like to make my own mind up about my own health (I would never take a doctors advice over my instinct to my health) and while I agree with a great deal of what these types of books advocate, I do not agree with eating dead animals.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›