4.0 out of 5 stars Beware feedback bribery, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Avantree Sacool Bluetooth wireless stereo headphones / headset with microphone, small and stylish, sweat proof, super light for iPhone 5S/5C/4S/4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3/2, S5/S4/S3, HTC One, PC, Tablets, and all the Bluetooth enabled audio devices - Black/Green (Electronics)
TL;DR:
- Comfortable, rain-resistant headset with good sound quality and convenient controls.
- However, company has been known to pay for positive reviews (see below).
- Earbuds stay in pretty well during normal use
- I've experienced some very slight connectivity issues (having to turn bluetooth on and off again a few times to get it to connect to my phone, occasional media playback stuttering) but really nothing major and it could be caused by my phone.
- Warranty is 1 year, see below for contact and registration info.

=======================

This is a good product, but I invite any readers to be sceptical of reviews of any Avantree/Avantronics products (here or elsewhere), because the company has been bribing people to give them favourable feedback. Specifically, they sent me an email offering:

$8.00 for a 30+ sec video clip to share your user experience on youtube
$5.00 for each unbiased review on any third party website
$2.00 extra for reviews with back links to Avantree website
$1.00 for EACH published user experience images online

On the face of it this just means they're giving an incentive for advertising and honest user reviews, which is fine. However, the packaging I received included a card that specified that they wanted 4/5 star reviews. It's a little underhanded, like those apps that try to force you to rate them favourably in the Android/Apple store.

I initially only gave this headset 3 stars because of this and because I was experiencing some connectivity issues. However, after using it daily for several weeks I've had to change my review and admit that it's a good product, and the company really shouldn't have to bribe people to say so. The connection issues have pretty much stopped and the rain resistance has been a big help, so I'm bumping it up to 4 stars.

EDIT: I have since been assured (see the comments on this review) that this was an old policy that the company has now phased out in favour of rewarding all feedback, whether positive or negative. The email's wording would support this, so perhaps they can be given the benefit of the doubt.

=======================

Pros and cons of the product itself:
(updated after using it daily for several weeks)

++ PROS: ++

The headset is comfortable and sound quality pretty good, both for media and phone calls.

It's very light, easy to pocket and can easily be worn with only one earbud in (something you can't easily do with the fixed-band style) provided you tuck the other earbud into your collar or something to stop it dragging on your neck.

The media/volume controls are convenient, and the whole thing seems perfectly rain resistant as advertised (I've used it while perspiring heavily from exercise and in a few downpours, to no apparent detriment).

-- CONS: --

Its bluetooth connection can be a little dodgy (taking a while to connect, mainly, or losing connection if you keep your phone in a pocket on the opposite side of your body). Sometimes my phone doesn't want to talk to it and I have to turn bluetooth on and off again a few times, though to be fair that may just be my phone. I had one weird issue where I was carrying my phone in my hand while jogging, and the connection kept stuttering as my arm swung up and down. This only happened once, but in any case I've had a bit more trouble with it than I have with my BSH10 headset, which was also cheaper.

The battery life is also shorter than my BSH10, but then this headset is much smaller so I can't fault them for not being able to fit a bigger battery. I haven't done any precise testes, but if I charge it every couple of days, it easily lasts me through several hours of use per day.

I was a little disappointed that the packaging contained a leaflet warning me that keeping my phone in a pocket too far away from my left ear might impede connectivity. Luckily, this turned out to be much less of an issue than I feared, at least for me. By and large, provided my phone is in the same room as me, it stays connected.

Mainly, though, I'd like to address some points that the listing/packaging didn't cover. I contacted customer service with my queries, so I'll list question and response:

=======================

Q. I bought this headset to take it jogging (even in bad weather). The Amazon listing describes the product as "water resistant" and "splash proof". However, the packaging mentions no such feature, and in fact the instructions leaflet urges: "Keep device away from humidity, water and any other liquid". Can I use this headset in the rain, as advertised, or will this not be covered by its warranty?

A. Sacool is splashproof instead of pouring water proof. They can get wet from working out or if caught in a small rain and quickly put away, but not to use after being poured large water or not used while swimming due to the possibility of dropping in the water.

Q. On the subject of warranty, the box lists a warranty card among its contents, but mine was nowhere to be found. Could you please confirm whether the product is covered by a warranty, as advertised, and if so how long the warranty lasts?

A. One year.

Q. Whom do I contact in the event of a claim?

A. Email our support team at support@avantree.com

Q. What does the warranty cover include (particularly malfunction as a result of exposure to moisture)?

A. Warranty covers damage caused by non-human. Please do not use Sacool in large water to avoid damage.

Q. Does the product require registration (or any other action on the part of the buyer) in order for the warranty to become active?

A. You can register on our website. Here is the link:
[...] **NB: Amazon keeps deleting this link for some reason, but Google is your friend there.
=======================

Conclusion:

This is a good headset and I would recommend it at the price. Its battery and reliability are a little inferior to my BSH10, which was also cheaper and boasts a 3-year warranty. If anyone's interested (they're not paying me to advertise them, honest, it's just a good headset) I bought it here: [...]

However, I bought this headset to take running because the BSH10 certainly isn't waterproof. I've taken the Sacool out in heavy rain and it doesn't seem to mind it one bit, so I'll be using both for different purposes. It stays in my ears a little less than perfectly with all the jostling that comes with running, but that's probably normal for headsets without a fixed band or a bulkier design. Anyway, a minor adjustment every few minutes and it's fine.

Mainly, I was disappointed to learn that the other positive reviews might have been bought rather than earned. It also would have been nice to have the warranty information up front, and I'm still a little unclear on whether the guarantee covers water damage in the event that it turns out to be not as rain-proof as I thought.

Overall, if you want a headset that's small and flexible and/or one that you can safely take out in the rain I can definitely recommend this one. If you wouldn't mind something a little bulkier or less waterproof, you can probably find something cheaper and longer lasting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jan 2014 15:31:57 GMT
BJB says:
Outstanding review. Thank you for taking the time and trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2014 17:43:41 GMT
Adrian says:
Thank you for saying so!

Posted on 16 Jan 2014 03:11:17 GMT
Hi, Adrian

As the manufacture, we appreciate your fair comments and feedback.
We are glad that you find our headset useful - comfortable and with good sound.

We will pass your feedback to our marketing dept for box and menu modification.
We do want to encourage customers to leave us feedback, good or bad, because they are equally useful for us. "Unbiased reviews", as specifically mentioned in the message, is very beneficial for everyone. So far that's what we saw.

Once again, we thank you. And we are right here for you anytime you need support.

Thanks,
Avantree Support Team

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 02:34:28 GMT
Adrian says:
Dear Avantree,

How nice of you to get in touch. I've tried to be as fair as possible in my review, and in fact I've just updated it and given you an extra star because this headset has turned out to be better than I initially thought.

It's a good product and deserves good reviews, my only real concern is the little card that came with the box, specifically asking for 4/5 star reviews. That did seem a little dishonest.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2014 11:24:23 GMT
Hi Andrian,

First of all, I am very sorry for this feedback reward scheme. That was an old scheme which has been stopped a while ago. But there might be some products still on the market with this info.

As a factory, we do want to encourage user to tell us their user experience so we can improve it if anything not ideal. We changed to a user experience sharing scheme which will encourage user to share their experience and comments, good or bad. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks again for your fair feedback. Any further question, please let me know. We are always here to help you.

Regards,