5.0 out of 5 stars Surely one of the best FPS for the PS3, 19 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Crysis 2 - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
I took a punt on getting Crysis 2 because I normally prefer RPGs, but after loving Crysis on the PC, I thought I would see if Crysis 2 was as good as I had heard. In a word, absolutely.

The story: Following on from events in Crysis, alien invasion comes to New York. There's various plot points, some of which get resolved, others don't. I thought it was quite well done, after all there's only a certain amount of narrative you can have surrounding an alien invasion. The voice acting is good and the script doesn't seem that wooden. Needless to say that I think there is going to be a sequel. The game strongly hints at that, and the Crysis franchise is a bit of a cash cow for makers Crytek so it is almost inevitable.

The graphics: I have only just got a PS3 recently, and this game more than any other that I have seen really shows what an awesome machine the PS3 is. To say it looks stunning is an understatement. It looks cinematic, the scope of the environments is jaw dropping, and colours are so vibrant. This has really set the bar high for future FPS in my opinion.

The gameplay: Brilliant, combination of weapons and the nanosuit is amazing. The nanosuit features are heavy armour and stealth, and the I think the degree to which you use these two functions really dictates how much you will like the game. If you use the stealth function a lot, it will make the 1 player campaign mode fairly quick and easy because you can just run past enemies with ease. You can't do this with all missions though. I personally found more satisfaction in killing all the enemies on each mission because it makes the game longer and more challenging. One criticism is that the game autosaves at set points (you cannot save it at any time), and the distance between saves seems to vary quite a lot, meaning some sections of the game are much harder than others. The AI was claimed by the maker Crytek to be the best ever created. I'm not sure I would quite go as far as that - it was challenging but certainly not without its flaws. In particular, sometimes enemies would seem to get stuck and just run in circles. As a whole though, I would say that glitches were rare. Also, the game is fairly linear and there isn't a huge amount of room for exploration within each level. That didn't really bother me though.

The soundtrack: I collect a lot of soundtracks because I like that style of music. It contains some of the best music ever composed for a video game. A mixture of electronics and orchestral action music, it sounds absolutely epic and accompanies the game perfectly. It also works great as a stand alone listen - Crysis 2 (Soundtrack). Stick it on in the car and it makes any journey seem epic!

I haven't played the multiplayer massively, but the times I have it has been fantastic and my mates love it as well.

Overall, this is surely one of the best FPS games out there. The story is great, the graphics are stunning, the soundtrack is epic and the gameplay is brilliant. I usually prefer RPGs to FPS, but for Crysis 2 I will make an exception. Bring on Crysis 3 - I can't wait!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]