5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Belkin OmniView SOHO Series 4-Port KVM Switch with Audio and USB Sharing - DVI Display - USB (Cables Included) (Accessory)
I'm really liking this switch. Some things that may help you decide to purchase (or not)...

As specified, it emulates the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to be present to the host computers at all times so switching literally takes 1 second. The switching via keyboard is also very nice, but remember to put your keyboard in the keyboard-specific USB port or it won't work. Press scroll-lock twice, then specify computer number 1-4 to switch or ESC to cancel. Your keyboard and mouse will freeze until you make a choice.

It's been mentioned some non-standard keyboard buttons do not work when in the keyboard specific USB port. I have a Microsoft Media Pro keyboard, and the following special buttons DO work:

* Volume up/down and mute
* Media (play/pause, stop, previous, next)
* Email and web browser
* Calculator
* Sleep probably works too as it's a "Keyboard 98" key, not tried
* Log off probably works too

Buttons that do NOT work:

* Application functions (I keep the F-mode enabled anyway to get the classic F1-F12)
* My Documents/Music/Pictures shortcuts
* That scroll/zoom thing on the left

Not tried the favourites 1-5 as I don't use the keyboard software. My mouse is a Razor Deathadder 3800. Just like my keyboard, I don't use any of that rubbish manufacturer specific software. All the buttons work as expected.

I had a question if the cables were single or dual link DVI-I, they are dual. Also the cables are made very nicely. The DVI and USB cables are bonded together, but split up enough either end to reach your ports. The DVI connector screws are also coloured at both ends of the cable to match the port in the switch. The audio cables are also bonded together, but not coloured.

I also had a question about whether the switch can stand up. It has slightly rounded edges so you should probably keep it wedged up or lean it on something.

The power adapter comes with a European and UK connector with a switch to lock it on to the transformer. You probably won't care about that though.

Not got anything else to say about this awesome product, feel free to ask though :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2012 05:54:24 BDT
Tellboy says:
I am unable to get past the compulsory log in screen on Windows 8 Release Candidate Edition.
I contacted Belkin Technical Support as I have two of these on 4 PC's on my home network in two different rooms.
Everything worked using Vista and even Windows 7 with occasional non responses needing me to keep unplugging the keyboard and mouse which is very difficult being hidden under the monitor connection at the back of the desk in the cable jungle.
As I cant even manage to log in on Windows 8 I asked Belkin Support UK and get this response:-

For your specific KVM the only operating systems that is supports is the following: Mac OSX v10.X, Windows® 2000, XP, Vista®, Server 2003 DOS Linux, Novell
Apparently the Windows 7 and 8 is not support as of now. The drivers released are for the following operating systems only.
There is no projected roadmap on when such drivers will be made compatible with your operating system.

Buyer Beware is my comment. I hope you find this review helpful before deciding to buy .

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2012 09:43:39 BDT
A. Reece says:
I wasn't aware a KVM needed drivers at all? I have my desktop and home server connected to this KVM at the moment. My desktop runs Windows 7 Professional (x64) and my home server runs Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter (x64). In the "Devices and Printers" control panel it shows up as "Combo Free KVM" so I'm guessing it's using generic keyboard/mouse drivers from Microsoft.

Sometimes (rarely) the keyboard and mouse appear to not respond on my desktop, even during the TrueCrypt boot loader. Unplugging the KVM's USB cable from the back of my desktop computer and putting it back in fixes it instantly though. Never had this issue on my home server, and as this happens even during the TrueCrypt boot loader (using the generic BIOS keyboard mode) I would suggest this issue is not operating system specific but instead fixable by a firmware update to the KVM. It could even be my desktop computer at fault.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›