5.0 out of 5 stars An eclectic collection, 7 April 2010
This review is from: Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree (Audio CD)
Now there's always the risk that I'm biased here, I've been an avid supporter of Diana's since the judge's houses of X-Factor way back in 2008 and the wait for this album was killed me, but I'm going to write a review anyway.

The album shows that if you take time you can produce a really good, original sound for yourself. It's common of X-Factor alums to quickly jump straight into recording what they think is their genre without really giving it much thought. Diana has confessed herself this is not the sort of album she originally thought she'd make but she experimented with her sound and worked with lots of different song writers and producers. The result is the interestingly titled 'Songs From The Tainted Cherry Tree'.

1) Her debut single 'Once' opens the album, an electropop masterpiece written by Cathy Dennis and Eg White. It works well as a debut, smashing her back on the scene after a very long hiatus from the music industry (she took a break to take the lead role in the west end production of 'The Rise And Fall Of Little Voice', to rave reviews I must add!) and the accompanying video shows Diana for the superstar she is.

2) Next up is 'Remake Me And You' which seems to have divided her fans a little. Just like Diana herself the song is very marmite. It was written by Diana and Ellie Goulding and you can hear the latters influences clearly in the song. It's another electropop song and is very uptempo. Personally I think it's one of the best songs on the whole record but others have commented on it being their least favourite. Definately one to check out whether you're a fan of Vickers or not.

3) The title of the 3rd track got people very interested: 'The Boy Who Murdered Love' and before hearing it I expected it to be a haunting ballad of sorts but I was gravely mistaken. It's a uptempo with a wicked hook "Shot, shot, shot, shot, shot like a bullet. Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop oh you love it." Single material.

4) The first ballad the album presents, 'Four Leaf Clover' full of metaphores as Diana laments how an ex-love was her luck but now everything is just ordinary without him. Her seemingly fragile vocals present the song's vulnerability extremly well.

5) 'Put It Back Together Again'. This was penned by the very talented Nerina Pallot. It's a strangely motivational song that on the first few listens seem quite sad. When you think about what the lyrics mean though you understand it's about motivating yourself to repair and maintain a relationship. Not one of the best on the record but a good song.

6) 'You'll Never Get To Heaven' seems completely random, it's very different to the other songs on the disc and sounds like it would fit right in on an Owl City album. This isn't a bad thing, though. I actually find myself wanting to listen to it on repeat as it's very addictive. A pleasant bouncey song to drive along to.

7) 'Me & You' Diana says this is more how she originally imagined her album sounding. It's okay, nothing spectacular and is probably the weakest on the album (though it was grown on me a little so I may grow fonder of it in time). I found myself cringing at the lyrics "It's me and you, stuck like glue", we're not in primary school anymore! But the melody is nice.

8) 'My Hip' has the potential to be a killer single, a great hook, trumpets blaring (played by Diana herself) and a catchy melody that's near enough impossible to rid yourself of.

9) I'd describe 'N.U.M.B' as the big ballad of the album. This is where Diana prooves she does have a big voice and those that say she can't sing are very wrong. I've seen her perform this live and I was transfixed. The recorded version doesn't quite capture the magic of her singing it live, and her vocals lack something in comparison but it's still an amazing track and, along with 'Notice', is in competition to be the next single.

10) 'Hit' when I first heard this I was confused - is this really a Diana Vickers song? Not because it was bad, but because it was so different that what I personally imagined her doing. It's now one of my favourite tracks, she sounds scorned and conveys the message of the song believably.

11) 'Notice' shows Diana returning to a ballad, this is quite similar to 'Four Leaf Clover' if I'm honest and doesn't quite have the emotion that the earlier track conveys. It's quite a school-kid type of song about not being noticed by somebody you fancy. It works, and I enjoy playing it but I can't quite connect to it as well as the others which is bizarre as the message of the song should be so accessible.

12) This was 'leaked' in 2009 and later put as a free download on Diana's website. 'Jumping Into Rivers' has SUMMER written all over it and I love playing this while out on a hot day, or driving with the sun beaming. It always puts a smile on my face, probably because I associate it with summer and fun times.

13) 'Chasing You' closes the album and it's a case of best till last. I really love this song and I think in time it will be my most played of the album (that accolade currently belongs to 'The Boy Who Murdered Love').

All in all a top quality album. It may not live up to the highs of JLS's debut but it far exceeds their album in terms of quality so it's a shame she may not get the success she deserves.

[Add comment]