1.0 out of 5 stars Contour Have Ceased Trading!!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: ContourROAM2 Handsfree HD Action Camera - Black (5MP, Still Photo Sensor) (Electronics)
As from 7th Aug 2013 Contour Inc closed its doors and stopped trading.
I didn't know this at the time of ordering my Roam2 (27 Sept 2013)
Of course this means that all manufacturers support, warranty claims, software, and importantly firmware updates have been taken down from the Contour website.

The only way you can get the Contour Story Teller software program is to trawl the web for a copied version that when installed does not connect with the live bits and importantly the updates from Contour.

This can maybe be worked around by using another movie editing program, but as you can't access the online manual either you are going to be stuck guessing how to adjust the camera settings anyway!

I carefully researched the Roam2 camera reviews before proceeding with my order but then was gobsmacked to find that Contour have gone belly up!!

This is such a blow to me as the hardware is a beautiful piece of kit, really nicely made quality stuff, and I am really disappointed that Amazon make no reference to the fact that there is NO manufacturer support or WARRANTY with this product!!??

I have contacted Amazon to inform them of this and asked why they continue to sell Contour cameras but have not received a response as of yet.

So anyone wishing to buy Contour cameras please be aware of this situation!
I was really sad to see it returned for a refund.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Oct 2013 12:17:58 BDT
Saznav says:
Thanks for the Info JT..I was just about to press the "Buy Button" but read your review first and have backed off! Is it no longer worth buying do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2013 18:48:49 BDT
JT says:
Ok, don't get me wrong, the Roam2 camera is a great bit of kit, it feels quality made and quite sturdy.
It WILL work straight out of the box no problem and your efforts can be viewed thru, say, Windows media player etc,you can edit your movies thru a number of free programs which are easily available from the Web.
However if you are a newbie to the action cam market (I am) and would like to set this camera up using the simple Contour Story Teller program that is linked to this camera, then you will NOT be able to it's as simple as that!
If you go to the US or UK site you will see that ALL the links to the support,parts, Story Teller and importantly the Firmware updates are dead and what this means is that you will receive No warranty or help from Contour themselves as they do not exist any more.
There is talk on various forums that the company MAY re launch but this is just wishful thinking at the moment and would probably mean anything the old company sold would not be covered under past warranty agreements.
Finding this out really was the last straw as I was paying for a brand new camera with NONE of the benefits, (support, warranty etc). If I'd wanted to take a chance with all those things I would have just gone down the Fleabay route.
I still think it's disappointing that Amazon offer no info on this.
Ultimately it's your choice but for me the uncertainty of it all was not worth the risk.
Hope this helps you.
Regards.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2013 20:02:34 BDT
Saznav says:
Nice reply JT,you have helped a lot. Same as you, I saw and researched the Contour, and thought it would be great for me, up until the very moment of realising they have stopped trading and dismissed all staff(I feel for them, been there!)
Very sorry you have, or will, suffer the conseqences of no product backup.
I now think I will go for the "Hawkeye Ride" as I already have a hawkeye in my truck and the "Ride" has the same function of Auto-loop and
records and displays time and date on playback and is a sold by a company with great customer service and 2 years warranty.
JT, Thanks again and I hope all goes well and most important...Ride Safe my friend!!!
Regards,
Saznav

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 15:32:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Oct 2013 17:07:45 BDT]

Posted on 11 Oct 2013 17:10:51 BDT
Mr Smith says:
Perhaps if you researched a little bit more you'd have noticed the note I added to the products forum shown at the bottom of the page that tells you that Contour has ceased trading. Its been there since the 9th of August 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2013 17:46:14 BDT
JT says:
So sorry that i didnt see your post earlier but I think my comments about Contours site are current.
Just giving people a heads up on the support side of this product,whereas it's Amazon that should be making it clear in the product details that Contour cameras now sold have NO manufacturers warranty OR product support.
Over to you Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2013 08:56:30 BDT
Markl says:
I agree, I have just done the same and bought one of these. The software is not really necessary for operation but can be found from various Dropbox sites linked from the contour Facebook community. Hope this helps a bit

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2013 00:12:55 BDT
Alan Goodman says:
I bought one from Halfords earlier this week but returned it when I found there would be no warranty support or firmware upgrades... I'm looking at getting the Polaroid XS100 now...

Posted on 27 Oct 2013 14:20:55 GMT
ChrisD63 says:
Thanks JT,

Had been looking at the Contour range , but after seeing you write up I think I'll be looking at the GO Pro.

I'm some what surprised that Amazon are still selling the contour range.

Thanks again.

Posted on 1 Nov 2013 18:39:27 GMT
El_Gibbo says:
A buyer was found for Contour a few weeks ago. So give it a little while and we should see things pick up a bit.

I've already got a Roam, still tempted to get a Roam2.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›