5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sony Product, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Sony BDVE870 5.1Ch 3D Ready Blu-ray Disc/DVD Home Cinema System with Easy iPod Playback (Electronics)
First of all I was very pleased with the look of the speakers, much slimmer and sleeker than the ones I had. The front tall boys have that black gloss finish to them which nicely match my TV cabinet.

Set up was easy enough although I thought that the automatic calibration using the mic wasn't right so I had to tweak the individual speakers to get the result I wanted. No problem though, it was easily enough done following the on screen menu.

The picture and sound quality is very good but I would have preferred to have separate bass and treble controls rather than the five preset sound modes. Having said that, any of the sound modes, in my opinion, will produce impressive results from blue-rays . Watch out for the sub-woofer, it is loud and very effective.

Playing my iPod through the system gives impressive results. I was a bit unsure about using this function at first as I thought you had to have the blu-ray home screen on view on the TV so I was a bit afraid of screenburn. Happily this is not the case and my music has been given a new lease of life. My personal taste means that I need to increase the treble on the iPod as the preset sound modes are too bassy for me. Great sound though.

I also think that playing TV from the Sky+ through the unit is very good as well. My previous dvd system was not up to the task and never seemed to produce any sound to the rear speakers even when the broadcast was in Dolby Digital. This one is very good and even when the output in LCPM stereo there is still sound from the rear speakers. Not proper surround I know but it is still pleasing to hear. The display will tell you if the output signal is LCPM or DD.

DVD upscaling ranges from average to good. I don't believe any comment when it is said that the upscaling gives as good quality as a blu-ray.

I am not connected to a network so I can't comment on that feature although it would have been nice to have a Wi-Fi connection. I was aware of this before I bought the unit so it is not an issue for me.

Overall, I am very pleased with this home cinema system and cannot fail to give it a maximum 5 out of 5. Superb.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]