1.0 out of 5 stars Just not good enough., 8 Feb 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DC Universe Online (PS3) (Video Game)
Wow, where to start? What a wasted opportunity! As a long-time player of City of Heroes I was looking forward to this game immensely. But, man, am I disappointed.

Firstly... I have no objection to paying a monthly subscription fee for a highly polished, bug-free game, with an excellent online community and great character development.

Sadly though, this game has none of those. I will try to explain better...

Bugs. This game is riddled with them. Yesterday I attempted a mission where, as I soon learned, the enemies were invisible. I died. Then in the same mission (after a reboot to fix the invisibles), my character got attacked whilst interacting with an objective, and got stuck in that position. So could not fight back or move... I died again. That's just two quick examples - There are dozens of big bugs in this game.

And I resent that because I am effing well paying to play this game every month - even though it's not effing finished!!!

Online Community. This is, in my opinion, the biggest failure of this game. Having played CoH and other MMORPGs I was expecting to make some superficial friendships that would last hours or even days. Sadly this wasn't to be. I bought a bluetooth keyboard to make typing easier but this just wasn't the problem. The problem was the terrible chat interface. It is truly awful. Someone messaged me in-game to ask for help. I tried to make a team and invite them but I couldn't do it! So I tried to Private Message them back... And couldn't do that either!!! That really sums this game up - the controls are so counter-intuitive it's painful to play it. There really is a poor community spirit on here. CoH had a great community and most players played in teams. I can honestly say that teams in DCUO seem rare and so I have pretty much solo'd this game... maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had played in teams more often. But, in all honesty, I seriously doubt it.

And a note on the above... The manual is awful (8 pages i think), and Sony expects you to go to the 'help' website to find out how to play it... Which is awful too! Tells you all the stuff you can work out for yourself and nothing about the stuff you really need to know! UNFORGIVABLE, SONY!

Sorry I'm going to stop here cos I'm typing on my phone so not ideal. I hope this review has been helpful as I would hate to think of others wasting their money on this poor game.

WARNING: update... Sony went ahead and charged me for the second month's subscription despite me writing to them to complain about the game and the quality of it! I emailed them regarding this and asked for a refund - seeing as I haven't played it for a week either and why should they even charge me if I haven't even attempted to play it during an unbilled subscription - and they told me where to go, basically. Sony. No Refunds. No Customer Service. No accountability.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Feb 2011 13:10:38 GMT
J-Bear says:
I've put about a hundred hours into it within the 30 day trial and i agree with all you say and could add a long list of extra complaints that aren't minor. Luckily the uk version can be traded on and CEX give 24 right now. With that in mind i have had fun in dc universe, but, it was all very much a single player game that i finished twice over and don't want to play anymore. When this game is very cheap some people may get 4 weeks of fun out of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 16:41:46 GMT
M. H. says:
Yep, people who don't like other people, and don't like games, will probably get the most from this game.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 16:56:21 GMT
J-Bear says:
;) It is quite poor.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 18:45:31 GMT
M. H. says:
Just as an addendum to this review. I tried to complain to SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) about this game and that fact I'm paying extra for my time playing it when it doesn't work...

They have so far redirected my complaint 5 (yes, seriously, 5) times (and no, they did not forward my complaint to a new department, they gave me a web address and made me register again with a different website to make a new complaint - every single time)... and the latest one? Pointed me at the website where I made my first complaint.

Ridiculous.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (40 customer reviews)

39.99 14.99