2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the original or the virgin remaster., 15 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Some Girls (Audio CD)
I've personally been waiting a long time for this remaster,one because this is my favourite stones album,two because i couldn't find the virgin reissue and also because i was excited about this because i had been wanting a nice sounding copy as i have the original cbs cd but wanted something a little clearer and more powerful.
So is it clearer?
Well yes it is definitely clearer but whilst its not a complete disaster unfortunately this is yet another member of the loudness war.
Not to the extent of anything thats distorted but there is hardly any bass here at all and the whole album is very "toppy" meaning the treble range is over-emphasised,so it sounds rather washed-out without any warmth at all.
It's also been redone too loud,which means it's great for using in the car etc but for quality listening at home or through good quality headphones this doesn't sound great,in fact the original is better,which sort of defeats the purpose really.
A friend of mine has the virgin remaster of this (which i cannot find lol) and i will be continuing to look for a copy of that for myself,it sounds clear,isn't too loud,has a nice dynamic range and is a step up from the original,which is exactly what a remaster should be.
Unlike this one which just doesn't cut it.
I shall be getting rid of this one as soon as possible which is a great shame but at least i have my original to listen to while i look for the other one.
I don't know if all the 2009 stones remasters are going to sound like this but if they are i'll stay away.
So as to a rating,well 5 stars for the music,maybe 2 for the remaster.
A great shame,but it doesn't surprise me as sound quality on cds these days seems to be getting very poor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2009 04:50:46 BDT
I totally agree about 'remastered' albums. Some are absolutely pathetic and I don't just mean the Stones. Personally I now try to avoid these so called 'improved' cds and go for the originals if possible or back to good old vinyl if available.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2009 22:29:25 BDT
That's exactly what i try to do,of course with some music that's been out of print its a buzz to finally get a copy only to find its been slaughtered by some mastering engineer.
In some cases i'm sure the artists have no idea that their albums are being butchered or if they do they must be going deaf.
So yeah original cds and vinyl are definitely the way to go,music is being ruined these days by all this digital clipping etc.
Thanks for your true and honest reply.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2011 11:44:13 BDT
Has anyone got the first vinyl release with the original sleeve? With Lucy Ball and others on the front cover?
It had to be withdrawn for legal reasons. I wonder if my old record is worth some good money!

Posted on 24 Oct 2011 19:28:15 BDT
I agree with your objections to the Universal Remaster. I've posted some reviews on these after my experience with the "Exile ..." S.E. I just keep that for the second disc, and I do keep the Virgin for "Exile ..." itself. I'll probably do the same with the Some Girls S.E..
I'm also missing a one of the Virgin's: Dirty Work.

Posted on 15 Nov 2011 13:09:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Nov 2011 15:18:14 GMT
Chankos says:
Thanks for this review. Much more helpful than wittering on about the songs, which we've probably all heard a million times already.

I find it mind-boggling that we're in an era where technology in studios has made quantum leaps in being able to squeeze every last detail out of master tapes, only for it to be destroyed at the mastering stage. Blame it on Owen Morris, who really kicked this off in the 90's with Oasis' albums. He even admitted this recently when he said "I might have f*cked up musical dynamics for ever...maybe it's cause I'm Welsh". Maybe it's because he's a terrible, unimaginative engineer!

Whilst one person alone cannot be held responsible for this, I happen to believe that if the second Oasis album hadn't sold bucketloads we wouldn't be having this conversation. Remasters in the mid-late 90s actually sounded great before they started brickwalling everything.

The recent Nevermind remaster is one of the worst offenders, and particluarly terrible for a band that understood what "loud quiet loud" meant. A notable exception would be the Bowie Station To Station box set, which included a wonderful disc retaining all of the dynamic range of the original recording; and also the "McCartney" remasters which kept brickwalling to a bare minimum on the CD and not at all on the accompanying Hi-Res download.

I'll stick with my Virgin remaster & buy the Blu-Ray of the show. I hope you manage to get the Virgin CD, it sounds great!

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 17:57:10 GMT
W. houchins says:
Thanks. I would like to have the "new" tunes, but you really popped my "interest bubble" on this product. I will simply dig out one of my TWO original vinyl releases, (with the celebrity faces) put it on, and TURN IT UP!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 18:04:11 GMT
W. houchins says:
If it is still sealed and never played, it might be worth upwards of 60 to 70 bucks (for the US release). If it has been played, the price spirals down according to the wear. I have one as well. My suggestion, proudly display it, and play it.

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 22:02:41 GMT
I have the japanese pressing (first); still sounds like magic, best sound ever. This is the one to look for, kind of difficult but not impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Nov 2011 19:39:57 GMT
The new King Crimson remasters sound superb, wonderful remasters.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (51 customer reviews)

Reviewer