3.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Sound System, but...., 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Roberts STREAM63i CD/DAB/FM Internet Sound System with iPod Dock and Record Facility (Electronics)
I just wanted to update my original review of this device.

After a couple of months of use I am still pretty happy with the Stream63I but, I was curious to know if it supports DAB+ and I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I emailed Roberts. I was informed quite categorically that it does not support DAB+. After a little pushing they told me:

"Products which will work across Europe and Australasia are being developed. These sets will incorporate new 'Profile 1' technology which will enable multi-standard compatibility (DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM). It is unlikely however that these will be fully enabled from launch. There are royalty payment obligations associated with each of these formats which will need to be built in to the cost of the product, these costs may prove disproportionately expensive if the device is to be used in one region only."

Quite honestly I would expect a top of the range item like the 63I with it's top of the range price tag to be both compatible with Europe and Australia and to have been made future proof - It seems rather likely that DAB+ will be coming to the UK at some point in the future and I would expect my investment in this device to reflect that.

So sorry Roberts I have just downgraded you to 3 stars.

I originally bought a Roberts Colourstream but had to return it as something hadn't been fitted quite right and there was a horrid buzz coming from it at certain frequency combinations. I was in two minds about replacing it with the Stream 63i due to the big price difference and the fact that it is so new that I couldn't find a single review of the device.

Anyway I took the plunge and went for the Stream 63i. I have now had it for only a few hours but am absolutely delighted with it. Like the Colourstream it was a total breeze to set up and I had it all configured in minutes.

My top priority was the sound quality of the device and this radio has really pleased me in that respect. It has a much cleaner sound than the Coulorstream had and for its size produces a fantastic sound - Not exactly audiophile quality but then neither is DAB.

We live in a fairly small house and the 63i has more than enough sound to fill and average sized living room without taking the volume above 50%.

The display isn't as pretty as that on the Colourstream and lacks the touch screen but has a much nicer remote control and the device is really easy to control using the remote and a lot less fiddly than the Colourstream.

The addition of the CD player is a real plus and I haven't tried it yet but it also has the ability to record direct from Radio or CD to SD card or USB memory stick. It also has an optical output that I can use into my Logitech sub-woofer system if I decide I need a bit more wellie.

Overall I think this radio is first rate and it is so nice to be able to buy a piece of technology that is manufactured in the UK.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2011 12:09:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 May 2011 12:09:25 BDT
Take it to Australia - it WILL work. Roberts may say not, but that is almost certainly for political and/or commercial reasons. Example - the fantastic Stream 83i which shares many features with this model does work with DAB+ in Germany and Australia.

I have to agree with others that marking down the product because you've been told it doesn't do something that isn't needed anyway (for the UK) is pretty daft. The product IS software upgradeable, after all.

To anser user "loz" - yes - it will stream from a NAS device if it has a DLNA or UPnP compatible server application built in. Works fine with server applications such as TwonkyMedia for example.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 10:02:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2011 11:13:40 BDT
Bill says:
Malling, Do you work for Pure or Roberts by any chance?

I have had this crap about Royalty payment for DAB+, adding to cost, thrown at me by Pure.

It is NOT pointless given the evolution of DAB - which is based on ancient MP2 codec.

The fact remains that DAB is relatively poor quality since the bandwidth allocation cannot cope with the number of UK stations.
Next version DAB is long overdue - a point not lost by many of our European partners and broadcasting organisations.

So if you want to listen to radio throughout Europe (like good old-fashioned FM/AM), or just stay in the UK and be 'future-proof', steer clear unless (a) you are sure you can update the firmware or (b) you can afford to shell out another few hundred bucks to the manufacturer for several lines of code in a future replacement.

(It's interesting to note that Sony do appear to include DAB+ in their UK sets.)

Good on you, TerryB. Expensive items that hide the pitfalls should be marked down.
Royalties indeed. Who makes these jobs up?
No wonder the economy is in such a mess whilst some laugh all the way with the bankers.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 11:35:39 BDT
loz says:
Thank you Kung Fu Panda. Got Twonky talking to the Roberts!

I have bought one now and absolutely love this unit - for me it is a real winner - the kids can listen to their CDs, my better half can listen to Greek radio over the internet and I can listen to my music collection off the NAS and catch up on radio I miss because I'm out.

Sitting on a Sunday morning eating toast and listening to Japanese rock stations feels as liberating as paying bills online for the first time.

With regards to the DAB+ debate raging at the moment here I cannot add - but it would be nice if Roberts could affer a retro-fit service if DAB+ "happens" one day in the UK. At least we got internet radio (or should that now be called internet audio I wonder?).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›