3.0 out of 5 stars Great Home Sound System, but...., 29 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Roberts STREAM63i CD/DAB/FM Internet Sound System with iPod Dock and Record Facility (Electronics)
I just wanted to update my original review of this device.

After a couple of months of use I am still pretty happy with the Stream63I but, I was curious to know if it supports DAB+ and I couldn't find the answer anywhere so I emailed Roberts. I was informed quite categorically that it does not support DAB+. After a little pushing they told me:

"Products which will work across Europe and Australasia are being developed. These sets will incorporate new 'Profile 1' technology which will enable multi-standard compatibility (DAB/DAB+/DMB/FM). It is unlikely however that these will be fully enabled from launch. There are royalty payment obligations associated with each of these formats which will need to be built in to the cost of the product, these costs may prove disproportionately expensive if the device is to be used in one region only."

Quite honestly I would expect a top of the range item like the 63I with it's top of the range price tag to be both compatible with Europe and Australia and to have been made future proof - It seems rather likely that DAB+ will be coming to the UK at some point in the future and I would expect my investment in this device to reflect that.

So sorry Roberts I have just downgraded you to 3 stars.

I originally bought a Roberts Colourstream but had to return it as something hadn't been fitted quite right and there was a horrid buzz coming from it at certain frequency combinations. I was in two minds about replacing it with the Stream 63i due to the big price difference and the fact that it is so new that I couldn't find a single review of the device.

Anyway I took the plunge and went for the Stream 63i. I have now had it for only a few hours but am absolutely delighted with it. Like the Colourstream it was a total breeze to set up and I had it all configured in minutes.

My top priority was the sound quality of the device and this radio has really pleased me in that respect. It has a much cleaner sound than the Coulorstream had and for its size produces a fantastic sound - Not exactly audiophile quality but then neither is DAB.

We live in a fairly small house and the 63i has more than enough sound to fill and average sized living room without taking the volume above 50%.

The display isn't as pretty as that on the Colourstream and lacks the touch screen but has a much nicer remote control and the device is really easy to control using the remote and a lot less fiddly than the Colourstream.

The addition of the CD player is a real plus and I haven't tried it yet but it also has the ability to record direct from Radio or CD to SD card or USB memory stick. It also has an optical output that I can use into my Logitech sub-woofer system if I decide I need a bit more wellie.

Overall I think this radio is first rate and it is so nice to be able to buy a piece of technology that is manufactured in the UK.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2011 20:07:57 GMT
Mark P. says:
Thanks for the review - probably the first truly useful one I've seen (all the others are just regurgitations of the press release material!). I've been trying to get hold of one of these from a local shop since before the start of December (i.e. when the release was announced) - but apparently Roberts have been less than forthcoming with sending out units to them... it's all well and good having something manufactured in the UK, just so long as you can actually buy one! :)

I really want to see one in the flesh, rather than blindly buying over the 'net, in order to get a feel for the actual size of the unit, to hear the quality of the sound (I know it's not intended to satisfy the arcane whims of an ardent audiophile, but I'd like to know how good it is with bass, quiet trebles, etc.) and other things - such as whether it charges an iPod/iPod Touch/iPhone whilst docked (even if e.g. a CD is playing).

If you could share any more of your experiences with it now that you've had it a couple of weeks, then that would be fantastic!

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2011 21:21:03 GMT
Cheers Mark

I had the same problem as you in finding a review, that's why I bothered to write one here. Well it's been three weeks now and I am still delighted with the thing. It has crashed a couple of times at the end of recording to usb, but I can live with that and hopefully there will be a s/w update at some point to iron out any bugs.

On the supply front, I am not too sure how much I can say on Amazon. Probably your best bet is to choose a supplier that has a decent returns policy (and isn't going to charge you an arm and a leg for sending it back). You should then be able to try it out and if you are not happy just return it

All the best
Terry

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2011 23:13:14 GMT
TerryB says:
Sorry Mark forgot to add... I don't actually own an i-anything so can't answer your charging question but I really cannot see any reason why it shouldn't charge them whatever mode it is in.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 12:59:17 GMT
Mark P. says:
Cool, thanks!

Posted on 28 Feb 2011 13:24:48 GMT
The moan over DAB+ is utterly pointless. The service may be available at some point, but it isn't at present so marking down the product because it doesn't do something it can't make any use of seems to be clever dickery. The sort of customer everyone can do without.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Feb 2011 13:36:14 GMT
TerryB says:
If you have no vision of how this technology if developing then I would suggest that is your problem. Personally having spent £350 on a radio I would expect it to be as future proof as possible. I also wish to use it down in Australia. So the taking away of 2 stars would seem perfectly appropriate to me and a fair warning to other customers such as myself who don't mind investing large sums in high end technology but expect the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 21:57:57 GMT
superbike999 says:
TerryB, I agree with your comments. I had a discussion on another forum with a subscriber who was thinking of buying this model when it first came out. I commented that there was no suggestion that this would be upgradeable to DAB+ in the future, in common with all? Roberts UK models. This rather put me off considering this model, especially in view of the price Roberts are asking for it. I already have the Roberts 202 Stream. Most of the Pure digital models are firmware upgradeable via the usb port, although I have read the same comment from Pure regarding the payment of Royalties, if the DAB+ function was implemented. It would be interesting to know how much the fee is. Australian buyers are able to upgrade their Pure models to DAB+, without cost, by means of a download and registration with Pure. I think that Roberts are missing a trick here.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 21:59:30 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Mar 2011 22:00:13 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2011 09:38:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2011 09:39:16 GMT
km.ord says:
To Malling - I think you are being ridiculously harsh regarding this review; and your comment which suggests that the reviewer is the sort of customer that everyone could do without, is much more pointless than a moan over DAB+. Amazon browsers should be grateful that we can at least read reviews from the horses mouth, so to speak; by people who experience the product after purchasing, rather than the sales pitch from say, what hi fi,or hi fi choice.
You will also find that technology moves along so quickly that DAB+ may appear within the blink of an eye, I'm sure you realise that already. This of course, will then render owners of these rather expensive products as obsolete, unless of course they always have access to internet signal. I think the reason Roberts have not made this a DAB+ product, is based around one of its main selling points....internet radio. If you always have the internet in your home then you're safe from technological improvements; but if you take your radio to another location - then yes, DAB+ is a feature that is surely valid; and the reviewer is right to have a gripe about this.
If anyone is looking for a similar, quality portable system with DAB+, and isn't too bothered about internet radio, then the Yamaha MCR140 would be a satisfactory investment indeed (plus, it streams your ipod remotely, without interference or loss of sound quality)

Posted on 28 Apr 2011 23:48:55 BDT
loz says:
Hi
Can anyone tell me if this model will stream music stored on a NAS using a digital media player software/server please?
Many thanks