1.0 out of 5 stars Holocaust - An extremely poor Quality Collector's Set, 20 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Holocaust [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
I bought this set on recommendation from my wife. She remembered seeing it when it was on TV as a harrowing representation of the story of the Holocaust.

I am writing this after seeing just the first "Chapter". I have to agree with other reviewers who complain about the picture quality, it is extremely poor, there has been no attempt to enhance the picture at all.

What made my experience different however, is that I first tried to watch the DVD on my BluRay player, and when the credits started rolling we got no sound at all and about 1 min 30 into the film credits the film just froze completely (this is the FIRST TIME - I have ever had a problem playing DVD with my BluRay Player).

I switched the DVD to our old DVD Player, and this worked fine and is now properly watchable. But I can't emphasise enough the extremely poor picture quality.

I would say that anyone buying this in it's current form will be sorely disappointed with their purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Apr 2010 16:34:24 BDT
Are you only only interested in "the width and not the depth", I start to watch some films, and watching online is quite often terrible, but if it is good it doesn't matter about the quality. There is an old film channel online, and the quality is terrible, but if you get interested in the story or characters you soon forget about it. I thought we were reviewing the content of the film, and don't forget it was only a tv series, and not the quality of the recording. I too get upset as to why they can't properly convert films to their former glory, but I will watch say, African Queen, on Film 4, crappy quality, 4:3, but have we become a bit TOO demanding. I still watch old VHS Videos, and soon forget the difference between them and my 1080p TV.
You haven't really said if you found the story interesting?

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2011 01:41:26 GMT
Colin Darra says:
True - I was complaining about the picture quality. And that was my main gripe. I don't mean to in any way diminish the importance of the Historical events covered, but on top of the the poor quality of the production I found the storytelling to be dated and prdictable. And, to be honest, in line with my feelings when I go back and watch other series of a smilar production era, like roots, centennial etc.

My negative review however is mainly caused by the incredibly poor quality of the release.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2012 13:26:13 BDT
Richard A says:
No, go to IMDb if you want to review the creative content. This is a product review and Colin Darra is entirely right to warn viewers off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (84 customer reviews)

£24.99 £8.04