2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect miracles..., 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones (Electronics)
It's a bit difficult to criticise these headphones as they were less than twenty quid.

These are my thoughts...

I bought these as a cheap pair of headphones for listening to mp3s and/or videos on a PC without disturbing others in the room. I don't consider myself an audiophile, and just wanted a 'passable' quality.

1) These headphones aren't very sensitive, so it's difficult to get a reasonable listening level. They were just about OK with the volume control on my laptop on max - it doesn't need to be this high for any other headphones I've used with it.;

2) They over-emphasise the bass, and not in a good way - it sounds muffled and woolly (the bass guitar in a song dissolves into a series of thuds) - I tried them on several sources, including a decent CD player and they were the same. You could possibly live with this for the price;

3) Plugged into an amplifier the headphones clip (buzz) at very modest volumes - I don't think I listen to very loud music, but these were incapable of dealing with rock music at a lively volume. This was the killer for me - don't think you can compensate for the low output of these by driving them harder - they just won't take it. I'm not talking about deafening levels here, not even "loud". I also tried them for practising electric guitar, and they were un-usable for this reason.

Plus points are that they did seem well made, were comfortable and isolated the sound from others very well (but they were never very loud for the wearer).

For cheap headphones, they're good, but good headphones they're not.

In fairness to Amazon, they were returned without any hassle. I was more concerned about getting decent quality than an ultra low price, so cut to the chase and bought a pair of Sony MDR V6 instead - Sony MDR V6 - Headphones ( ear-cup ) - bliss :)

It feels a bit harsh to give these 2* - it's more of a reflection on the audio quality than the value for money.

Hope this helps someone...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Dec 2010 15:21:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2011 16:06:46 GMT
Raregrit says:
This is an updated post:
I purchased these headphones after having damaged my old pair of Sennheiser headphones (and after trying the awful Sony MDR-570LP's).

The original pair of Senn's I purchased from HMV a couple of years ago now (for £16 no longer stocked), and they looked physically identical to the ones here. The only difference I could concern is the lack of a model number on the old ones I had.

But the new headphones arrived today and despite a side by side comparison and still only wear and the lack of a model number on my old ones being physically different, I tried them out together (I had to do this at a modest volume due to me damaging the old pair slightly).
These are not the same headphones.

The old pair had a sound quality I have never heard matched from a pair of headphones, the new ones have a distinct lack of range and the bass is heavier and muffled.
It seems the speakers used in this model are inferior to the old ones.

It seem you can't judge a book by its cover really works in the case :(

PS. The headphones I received had been opened and repackaged.

Posted on 19 Mar 2011 15:11:14 GMT
N. Stewart says:
Comparing £20 headphone with £50 headphone is a bit unfair but thanks for the review all the same

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2011 14:05:55 BDT

Thirded!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 21:38:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2012 21:52:41 BDT
Raregrit says:
I made my comparison to the older version of essentially the same headphones, and back when I purchased them a couple of years before were even cheaper then the ones here, not to the bad Sony's I bought mentioned in brackets.

Posted on 17 May 2012 00:35:25 BDT
I think you may have had a faulty pair. I find these excellent on my mac at any volume, worth five stars any day!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (2,040 customer reviews)
 (1,210)